A few general Qs on broadband routers

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A few general Qs on broadband routers

Postby dr_st » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:12 am

As I was searching for a router to buy, I noticed that certain routers are said to support Cable and DSL broadband connections, while others are said to support DSL only. I haven't seen any router that said "Cable only", but they might exist.

So, what is the reason for that? What difference is it to the router which connection is used?

Also, does it make a difference between dial-up and always-on connections?

And I also heard that not all routers can work with all ISPs. How does the ISP make a difference?
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby gregmcquaid » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:37 pm

Take AOL DSL for example many people say that this is not compatible with routers but i have this set up at the moment with no problems. As for isps being different i would guess that it is the way they have there systems set to give dsl to there customers
gregmcquaid
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby kokalo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Not sure on how ISPs make different modems/routers work or not. but some DSL "modems" have a router built in. The cable companies can better control what modems will work, by using different equipment at their end (DSL is much more evenly standardised, Cable TV has different standards available).
As an example, there is only one Cable TV company here in NZ, and they do cable breadband through their circuits as well, and only Motorola "surfboard" cable modems will work on their setup. Which is not a problem, because you can only rent a modem through the company, no other way of getting one in NZ, and even if you had one, they could exclude it because of the MAC address not in their database.

If you have a broadband modem already (regardless if its DSL or cable), then most (actually any, in theory) routers should work with it. Most ISPs will only allow 1 IP address, regardless of whether they use Static or Dynamic scheme, but that is why most routers have NAT capabilities (Network Address Translation - allows you to show 1 IP address "to the world" and translates it to a range of IP addresses for your internal use, so the same IP address is in the header as the "source IP" regardless of which one of your 3, or 16, or 68 PCs it originated from.
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:35 pm

DSL only would mean its just for PPPoE purposes and do not have the ability to set Dynamic or Static connection types...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking