workgroup is not accessible

Moderator: The Mod Squad

workgroup is not accessible

Postby jimmy-j » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:45 am

I can't find any info in books on how to access permisions, also the boxout has the wording "the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" could anyone throw some light on this and point me in the general direction, many thanks.jimmy-j.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:06 pm

Need to know a few things before we can help.

What kind of machine are you using?
What Operating System
What kind of network are you attached to? Describe it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jimmy-j » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:50 am

At the moment I'm just trying to connect two units together with a cat5 crossover on the onboard ethernet.Both machines are running windows XP one on home and the other on pro the pro unit is set as the server with access to the internet, I installed the windows home networking wizard to set up the connection but they don't see each other and then I get the boxout

my network places

Workgoup is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network resource.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgoup is not currently available

OK

That's as far as I can get,If you need further info just ask many thanks, jimmy-j.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:49 am

Run the Networking Wizard on both machines - that is the easiest way to get the systems connected.
The pro machine - use the option that states that "This is the machine that connects to the internet and all other machines connect to it."
You then have to choose the appropriate adapter - if its dial up, then just choose the modem, if its a network card - you need to make sure you choose the correct one connected to the modem.
The home machine - use the option that states "This machine connects to another one for internet access". Should be easy from there on.

This will give you the proper IP addresses and permissions for basic networking.

For sharing files. Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. From Control Panel, Choose System and the Computer Name tab to set these options.
Next, you need to activate file sharing.
Right click on a folder you want to share and choose "Sharing and Security"
Click on "Network Setup Wizard" or "If you understand the security risks but want to....etc...etc..."

Once the folder is shared you should have no problems
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking