XP and Mac networking

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP and Mac networking

Postby colinJohn » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:25 am

A friend has asked me to set up a wireless router network to an ADSL connection. The twist is that he wants 2 windows machines (1 XPpro the other win 98 ) and one Mac G4 running OS10 connected to it.

Does anyone know of any problems doing this or whether any router/modem combination is better than any other.

I'm guessing Internet and email will be ok, file shareing will not be possible but printer shaing will be? Also any weird firewall issues?

Any advice welcome.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Re: XP and Mac networking

Postby snap355 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:06 pm

colinJohn wrote:A friend has asked me to set up a wireless router network to an ADSL connection. The twist is that he wants 2 windows machines (1 XPpro the other win 98 ) and one Mac G4 running OS10 connected to it.

Does anyone know of any problems doing this or whether any router/modem combination is better than any other.

I'm guessing Internet and email will be ok, file shareing will not be possible but printer shaing will be? Also any weird firewall issues?

Any advice welcome.

Make sure that the wireless router is compatible with your ADSL modem, meaning it can support pppoe, etc. Secondly, if the MAC machine has TCP protocol installed, you can then configure it for internet access. It looks like you'll need a parallel to ethernet converter in order for the MAC machine to print it. I don't see a problem with the XP and W98 sharing files and printing though.
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking