Need some technical info on a couple of routers

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need some technical info on a couple of routers

Postby aj1pso » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:19 pm

Alright, heres the problem. I have these two routers that connect me to my ISP. They are:

A Starbridge ADSL Ethernet/USB Router (works with CAT5 or USB). I think the model is FCC DSL 305EU Firmware version is 21.28.4. I got more info if needed.

And a Cisco 677 router.

I need all the possible technical access and programming info on these two. Heres what's going on: My ISP offers ADSL services and they are indeed the only company that does in the entire country. I live in venezuela, so we're basically stuck with that ISP for "broadband". Anyway, they really suck. They're enforcing some port blockings and god knows what into the routers remotely. They have control over the admin passwords and all. Why is this a problem you ask? Well, they're my routers. I bought them. They didnt even have the decency to provide them with the service.

I need access to the router to do my own configuring and am trying to figure out how. This is a known issue among the community that uses the ISP. They refuse to fix it and it causes many problems with certain applications like online games. The thing is, the company has no reason to meet our demands to stop hijacking our equipment since they actually have monopoly over the telecomunications industry of the country (cantv.net)

So yeah, I want control of my hardware, hence my need for all possible documentation on it.

Thanks in advance (Sorry if I came off a little angry) :?
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:22 pm

How did they get access in the first place? Did you give them the passwords?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby aj1pso » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:34 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:How did they get access in the first place? Did you give them the passwords?

They ask for the router to configure it for the service. Its a requirement, they dont give you a choice. Fine, configure it, no biggie- wrong! they change the default passwords.

They basically like to keep control of every access to their network. I didnt know this back then, otherwise I would've made a big deal out of it. I just recently found out why my access was limmited in certain situations. The thing is, I agree this needs to be done. They have a particular architechture set up and their average user cant configure their own router, sure. But for those of us who can (or are interested in doing it) its a really crappy thing to do (not to mention arguably unethical)

*edit: Forgot to mention that they have agreements with certain stores to sell pre-configured routers for their users and those are the only ones who can connect to the service. Convenient, huh? :roll:
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:21 am

Without the default password your kind of screwed.
It depends how they configured it though.

Do you know if they passworded the console port on your cisco router?

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby aj1pso » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:38 am

Well, I did some research on the thing. Found some of their passwords (like I said, I'm not the only one trying to get his hardware back). I tracert to the ISP and found the router on the first hop, nmapped it and found an open telnet port. Apparently thats the configuration access. Their old passwords dont work anymore though so I'm screwed.

I could build the cable to access the console, I know how to crack it if it has a password. But I dont have any printer cables laying around, oh well. Short of brute forcing the telnet access theres nothing much I can do right now and I think they auto configure it remotely upon boot anyway.

Thanks for the help though :?
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:39 pm

Might be a way to reset the router, but it would lose all the data.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby aj1pso » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:42 pm

The starbridge one has a reset button. Didnt help anything.

I wont even check the cisco one cause if it defaults back to closed telnet I'm screwed.
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:34 pm

You have to hold the reset button in for 10-15 seconds to clear data, just pushing the button will just reboot the router.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking