cannot get d-link dsl G604t to work!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: The Mod Squad

cannot get d-link dsl G604t to work!!!!!!!!!

Postby darrellw » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:22 pm

been asked to set up a router for a small office to share their broadband connection. one machine is running win98 the other win2000.
no real experience of this, only set up my 3 xp machines on a netgear router at home so tested the d-link dsl G604t router at home on xp and win98 and it worked fine,after having to remove the modem on one of the win98 machines first. then connected straight with all 4 machines. able to surf striaght away.nothing to install on win98, simply installed the card and away the 2 machines went.

got on site, then the fun started.

first of all the w***** who had built the new 98 machine decided that the customer would never need the onboard network so he did not bother to punch the plate, never mind i had a spare network card that i had already tested on win 98. installed ok but could not get the router to connect, though everyhing seemed to be ok .

tried the win2000 machine, card installed ok, made more progress than the win98 machine. able to see the router but could not get it to work properly, kept part loading a web page and then starting again, and again, and again, and again, i think you get the message

so i am really stuck here, in above way over my head, as i have no idea how to manually set the router up as i do not really understand all the jargon associated with networking such as ip addresses, DHCP settings and gatways etc etc etc.

not had to troubleshoot my own network with this problem so ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA on what to do next

probably going to take a machine that i know works with this router and see if that works on site, and then go from there.

any help/suggestions most appreciated :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

cheers
darrellw
darrellw
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:07 pm

First thing to do is reset the modem - I am not sure if there are any settings previously put on here, but lets start from scratch anyways.
Hold the RESET button in for 15 seconds and release.
Connect both machines to the router via the built in switch and boot them up.

Automatically there are supposed to get IP addresses from the router.
If you go to Run and type "command" <enter>. At the prompt, type "ipconfig" - it should display unique IP addresses for the machine.
Something like 192.168.1.104.
If it looks like this: 169.254.2.67 - then the router is not functioning correctly or the network card is the problem.
If you have no configuration data, the network card is not installed correctly.

Post the results from each IPCONFIG here when you have looked this up.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby darrellw » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:12 am

cheers for the reply will go and have another go tomorrow, following your advice and will post back, hopefully with some progress. they also have an laptop with xp on that was not avaiable last time that they also want to share the broadband with so i think i will try that machine first to see if that works as Xp tends to do all this stuff itself.

cheers again
darrellw
darrellw
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby snap355 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:23 am

Could be bad NIC or patch cable as well
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking