Strange wired network problem

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Strange wired network problem

Postby jeepie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:03 am

Hello, I have a wired home network that has a strange problem, I have a linksys router with 2 computers downstairs and 2 computers upstairs. The computers down stairs work fine. The upstairs computers will not connect unless I configure them to run at 10M, if I leave the auto configure on they will not connect at all. I have a linksys router and linksys nic card in the upstairs systems. If I move one of the computers downstairs it connects fine. So I was thinking it has to be the cat5 wire, but both the upstairs systems do the same thing. Both upstairs runs are less then 75 feet, so I don't believe I exceeded the max runs, but I could be wrong. Has anyone seen this type of problem before ? Any suggestions ? The computers do run at 10M but I have a print server that I wanted to place upstairs but I can't because it won't talk to the router, I have to place it downstairs to get it to work.
Thanks.
jeepie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:32 am

Sounds like a cable problem to me. Have you tried a downstaires system upstairs and see if you get the same affect?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Big Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:38 am

What are the modle number of the router and the wired nics and the wireless cards?

Jake
Big Jake

Postby jeepie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:46 am

Yes, the downstairs computers do the same thing when moved upstairs also.
The Router is a linksys BEFSR41 and the NIC cards are Linksys LNE100TX. I do not have any wireless components and I tried a 3COM nic card with same results.
Thanks.
jeepie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Big Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:51 am

Scratching his noggin ...
Big Jake

Postby jeepie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:57 am

Me too, If there was something wrong with the wire (bad connection, bad crimp, miswired connector) it would not work at all right ? It does work fine at 10m, the thing that really bothers me is that both upstairs wires do the same thing. Could it be cheap quality wire or something, anyone ever have any problems with wire quality ?
jeepie
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Big Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:15 am

Check the wires by using cable that you know is good -- ie- it works in some other loacation. Then I guess I'd start by locating a unit that is misbehavin' near the router and, I assume, your broadband or dsl connection. Then I would connect the unit directly to the internet source (no router) and check its performance. Then I would methodically add one thing at a time the to the mix and try to isolate the problem this way.

single unit, next to cable modem, no router
add the router
move the unit to desired location
add one more unit
and so forth

Anybody got other ideas?
Big Jake

Postby snap355 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:57 pm

You have know that its a cable problem. Did you make the cables yourself?

Purchase a cat6 cable. I know it's more expensive than regular cat5e cable, but cat6 has noice reduction and that's probably your main issue. It's like the wireless advertising. It can go up to 50 feet but realistically, it'll hit 20 feet or so because of walls, radio interference, etc.

Or as another alternative, use Belkin powerline. These units use your existing electric wiring in the house to network your PCs.
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mark H » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:45 pm

Have you tried different ports on the router to eliminate a port problem?

Switch 1 with 3, 2 with 4.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:12 pm

It definately sounds like a cable issue. Like you are using Cat3 or 4 Ethernet cable.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Networking