networked computer cant access internet

Moderator: The Mod Squad

networked computer cant access internet

Postby Philip_pc » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:39 am

i currently have two computers, the main computer is connected to cable internet...the two computers are networked and about 2 weeks ago i installed AlalogX Proxy and shared the internet between the 2 computers, it was working perfectly fine until about 3 days ago when the problem came up, the internet on the networked computer wont work....
i thought it was just the weather so i left it and tried the next and the next day and it still didnt work.....
i have checked the LAN settings on the networked computer with the IP set to the main computer and the port set to 6588.......
when i open the internet browser on the networked computer it displays a grey box with the words ...."unable to open cable.optusnet.com.................and so on"
i found the source of this problem, it is the norton firewall...
i disabled the firewall and the internet on the networked computer worked again, but still i dont know how to fix this problem..(i want to keep the firewall)
i think this problem first started when i used liveupdate to update the norton internet security.
someone please help me!!!!!!

regards,
philip
Philip_pc
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:24 pm

Check the blocked access rules and see if anything is listed.
You may have to remove Norton and then reinstall for everything to work again. Most likely it blocked access for Analog X
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby snap355 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:11 pm

See here too
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=59979

Even if you disabled Norton, somehow the rules are still in effect. You basically have to uninstall Norton and reinstall without liveupdates.
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking