Removing computer stuck in "view workgroup"

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Removing computer stuck in "view workgroup"

Postby jimmylad007 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02 am

Hi. I set up a network, but then renamed one of the computers and ran the network setup wizard on it again. From all of the computers on the network, it still appears in "view workgroup computers" twice, (both the new name and the old name). I can't access it or anything on the old name. How do I get rid of it because it just looks untidy.
jimmylad007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Removing computer stuck in "view workgroup"

Postby snap355 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:34 pm

jimmylad007 wrote:Hi. I set up a network, but then renamed one of the computers and ran the network setup wizard on it again. From all of the computers on the network, it still appears in "view workgroup computers" twice, (both the new name and the old name). I can't access it or anything on the old name. How do I get rid of it because it just looks untidy.

Eventually, the old computer will go away due to Netbios and computer browsing functions. How long does it takes? Anywhere from 2 hours to 36 hours depending on broadcasting and other factors.
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:44 pm

It can even take longer depending on the size of the network. Every computer will eventually be aware of the change. Just takes time.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking