NIC or USB

Moderator: The Mod Squad

NIC or USB

Postby jakebullet » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:11 am

just wondering, which method gives better transfer rates?
also i have a d-link 5 port hub, is it possible to connect my broadband modem to the hub then connect my laptop and desktop to the hub to share files/printer/internet etc or do i have to have 2 NIC's in the host pc and connect the hub to 1 NIC and the modem to the other?
cheers fo looking
jake
MSI K8T800
amd Athlon 4000+
2gig DDR
500gb Hitatchi SATA
80gb max PM
Pioneer 115D PS
ATI x1650
jakebullet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sonic007 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:29 am

Ethernet NICS are meant to be better for transfer rates on the net.

As for using the hub, it will not work. You need a router to hook up a broadband modem to it.
You can pick one up for about £50.00
Look at Linksys routers.
you then hook up each Pc to the router and the router to the broadband modem.

Your other option is to have as you say two NIC's in one PC and hook up that way. Although you may have some compatibility problems as a mate of mine did that and the two NIc cards conflicted.

Your other option is to connect the broadband modem through USB and then just stick one NIC card in the PC and another in the other PC and then set up sharing that way.

Note: In these instances your PC would have to be on so that the other PC can use the net. Using a router however, you do not need the other PCs to be switched on.
I'd reccomend you get a router. I got this for my cousin and it works great.
Sonic007
Initiate
Initiate

Postby dr_st » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am

I used to work with the sharing method Sonic007 described for a long time - broadband modem connected to one PC via USB, PC connected to another PC via Ethernet and crossover cable.

If you have only 2 PCs, a hub/router may be an overkill, since just with a cable you can set up internet sharing, printer sharing and file sharing. The only advantage of a router when it comes to 2 PCs is, like Sonic007 said, the ability for each PC to use the resources (internet, printer) independently of the other. I, however, don't think it's such a big advantage to get a router for. I got my router only because I wanted to connect more than two PCs.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Copper » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:22 am

i would choice a router every time,

its less hassel to set up, each pc can work independantly and there no performance issue, were each computer can not slow each other up
also there less of a chance of cross infection from pc to pc
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby dr_st » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:30 am

Coppershirt wrote:its less hassel to set up

I dunno... At least when running XP, it's fairly simple to set up a network using the wizard...

Coppershirt wrote:each pc can work independantly

That's an advantage allright.

Coppershirt wrote:and there no performance issue, were each computer can not slow each other up

I'm not sure that hardly matters. Your broadband will be split between both PCs either way, I doubt that the client PC accessing the internet would put much stress on the server PC, especially if the server is the faster one, and if you're gonna share files, it again doesn't matter.

Coppershirt wrote:also there less of a chance of cross infection from pc to pc

Probably true.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby jakebullet » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:24 am

thanks for the help guys, i have just had a crack at setting up a network, i have done away with the hub, and connected the 2 pc's with a xover cable. i have managed to sort internet connection sharing, but its doing my head in now. i have enabled file/folder sharing, i.e i want to shre my E: drive and i've enabled printer sharing, the problem is the icons for these are not displayed on the 'slave' laptop. i have run the network set up wizard about 3 times now and its still the same, is there something im missing?
cheers guys
Jake
MSI K8T800
amd Athlon 4000+
2gig DDR
500gb Hitatchi SATA
80gb max PM
Pioneer 115D PS
ATI x1650
jakebullet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dr_st » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:44 am

jakebullet wrote:problem is the icons for these are not displayed on the 'slave' laptop.

Where are you looking for these icons?
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby jakebullet » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:46 am

my network places and the printers folder on the left
MSI K8T800
amd Athlon 4000+
2gig DDR
500gb Hitatchi SATA
80gb max PM
Pioneer 115D PS
ATI x1650
jakebullet
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dr_st » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:55 am

jakebullet wrote:my network places and the printers folder on the left

Hmm...

Network Places -> Workgroup Computers -> "master" computer, right?

As for the printer, have you tried the "Add printer" wizard on the "slave"? Try to select "network printer" then "browse for printer", and see if you can see it attached to the other PC.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby jakebullet » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:32 am

thanks for the replies everyone.
hi dr_st,

i have followed the help and support wotsit and at some point it recommeded doing a ping command which worked fine from the host pc (desktop) but didn't respond from the slave (laptop). so i'm reinstalling/ updating drivers where i can, failing that im just going to wipe them both. im pretty sure the hardward is fine, and im able to transfer files from the slave to the host no problem.
cheers guys
jake
MSI K8T800
amd Athlon 4000+
2gig DDR
500gb Hitatchi SATA
80gb max PM
Pioneer 115D PS
ATI x1650
jakebullet
Green Belt
Green Belt