help with map network drive

Moderator: The Mod Squad

help with map network drive

Postby cwl157 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:13 pm

So i am at college and the kids on my floor map the network drive and then we can share files with each other. The problem is me and my room mate are connected through a router so i can not see any one elses computer because of the router. How do i configure the router to let me go around it so i can see the different computers? It is a linksys router i am connected to it with a ethernet cable and my room mate is connected wirelessly.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:15 pm

Bigest problem is that the linksys router creates a DMZ. The router becomes your gateway because it assigns its own IP addresses. You are technically not part of the school network in your current configuration.
A switch or hub would be the best idea because then you can get your configuration from the school network and then connect to the network drives.

This should help.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Network ... 73384.html
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:19 pm

is there any hub i can get that has wireless connection like the routher does because my room mate has to connect wirelessly.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:44 pm

Throw an Access Point on any cheap hub and it should give you the access.

Might have to use a Cross Over cable to hook up the AP to the hub.

http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdet ... opbara.htm

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:20 pm

is there a way for me to get rid of the the router part of the linksys router i have. Like get rid of the firewall and the assigning ip addresses and stuff. and just use it as a hub for me and my room mate would have to use it as a wireless access point for him. i looked at the link hardware junkie gave me and i think thats what i want to do but i dont fully understand what the people on that forum are saying i have to do.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:35 pm

That link I gave you before basically turns it into an Access Point with 4 port switch.

I have never done it so i can't direct you (unfortunately). Linksys might be able to help you out though.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:35 am

ok this is from the forum hardware junkie directed me to is this what i want to do cause i dont want to mess anything up.
Use the modified firmware from http://www.sveasoft.com/
and enter following command.
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Or you can download source code for linksys firmware, and add this command to the startup script.

i think i want to download the firmware from linksys and then just put that line of code in the start up script. someone tell me if this is right or wrong im still very unsure of what im doing. :?:
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking