new ADSL modem/problems

Moderator: The Mod Squad

new ADSL modem/problems

Postby ssamurai26 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:54 pm

Don`t know if anyone can help me here, but here goes.
As some of you know I just moved, and I haven`t been around a lot. I got YahooBB setup in my new place, and it took forever to get it to work. This thing is totally idiot proof too, so this is really disgusting me.

I got their wireless pack, which is a ADSL modem that a wireless card plugs into, giving wireless connectivity AS WELL as the standard LAN cable on a 45mbps line(if only I weren`t 4k from the switch). Not wanting to cause any headaches early in the game, I tried to setup the wired connection first. The first steps (after plugging everything in, etc.) is to put in the provided CD, and run a test program on the modem/connection. I get the big X, meaning that it is not working. I tried everything I could think of for several days, then just for kicks I hooked up the wireless stuff and the internet connection sprang to life.

Problem is that the wired connection still refuses to work. Now they`ve sent me the bill, and I don`t want to pay them until I have a fully working connection. It is not the cable, I`ve tried 3 of them. It is not the lan on my PC, because it works fine at my friends house (same service and modem).

I`ve had people at my office working this problem for 2 days now. I tried calling YahooBB, but they have no English help line, and when I tried to get a co-worker to call, they said "you must call from your house to get tech support(BS)"
I`m ready to throw this thing away!

I know it really seems like there is nothing to do to make it work, but I`m out of options and really just ranting.

Peace :twisted:
"He o hitte shiri tsubome" - (There is no use scrunching up your buttocks after a fart)

Abit KN9 Ultra
AMD X2 3800
Corsair DDR2 2X2GB
HIS Radeon 4670 1GB
Intel SSD
150GB Raptor
1TB WD Green X3

(hooked up to new 100M FTTH line)
ssamurai26
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Sephra » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:22 pm

I think that almost everyone has gone through something similar to this with one ISP or another.

Well, the down side is that most ISPs are full of BS and they are experts in giving you the "run around". I think that even if you can get it fixed you should just go woth another service provider. Why deal with the headache.

My guess is that even if they come around and help you get up and running on your wired connection, you will still have to pay the bill. And even if it all works out most likely down the line you will encounter more problems with them.

Again....why deal with the headache.........
Sephra
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:35 pm

I am a little confused as too the hardware in operation.
Are we looking at a Wireless Modem? Let me know how this is connected together.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking