help setting up a network

Moderator: The Mod Squad

help setting up a network

Postby cwl157 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:03 pm

me and my room mate want to set up a network with our computers. we have a linksys router that we use to connect to the internet so we can both be on the internet at the same time cause there is only one ethernet connection in the room. i am plugged into the router and he is connected to it wirelessly. how do we not only use this router to connect both of us to the internet but how do we network out computers so we can share files and stuff. i know we both have to be in the same work group so when i created the network i made sure we were. when i go to view workgroup computers i see his computer on there but when i click on it it says it cant find it. so what else has to be done in order for this network to work?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Copper » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:36 pm

have you enabled file and printer sharring on the network cards
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby cwl157 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:36 pm

have you enabled file and printer sharring on the network cards
how do i do this?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby kokalo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Go into "Network Connections" through Start Menu (WinXP) or Control Panel -> doubleclick the selected connection -> select "Properties" -> make sure there is a tick in the box next to "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Networking