access point ?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

access point ?

Postby fatdan » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:02 pm

I have 3 pc's on a wired network w/ a linksy's 4 port router...I have 2 laptops w/ wireless cards...do I just need to get a access point and plug it in the 4th port on the router then set up the keys?
Can you use more than 1 laptop on the access point at the same time?

Also, is a G that much better than a B?
Thanks
fatdan
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kokalo » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:04 pm

Yes, Yes and Yes.
You are welcome.

If you already have a router, which allows communcation between networks (ie your home network and the rest of the world/internet), you only need a way to interface wireless units into your wired network. Enter Wireless Access Point.
Each Wireless Access Point can handle up to 253 wireless nodes (read laptops/wireless PCs). That's 256 (0-255) minus network address (0) minus broadcast address (255) minus one for itself.
I would suggest using SSH for security rather than WEP keys, but it tends to slow down (large) networks somewhat.
802.11g works at up to 54Mbps (thats mega-bits, divide by 8 to get mega-bytes), or 108 in duplex mode, and 802.11b works at up to 11Mbps, or 22 duplex. Those are optimum figures, line of sight, with noe EM or RF interferrence, close quarters. Both protocols will start dropping the speed as conditions deteriorate from optimal.
However, even if you have "b" cards in your laptops, geta "g" access point, because they will support "b" until you upgrade, and then give you better speed. (Provided the price difference is not huge, it about US$50 here in NZ.)

Have fun, and post if you need moer help. :D
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fatdan » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:49 am

thanks again....I have G cards...w/ 125 hms speed booster support whatever that is... :D I'll figure that out.
fatdan
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Networking