network problems

Moderator: The Mod Squad

network problems

Postby cwl157 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 am

so i am at college and i connected my computer to the network but it is not working. it says that i am connected but it says 0 bytes sent and 0 bytes recieved. i checked for viruses and stuff so i know its not anything related to that. i wish i could give more details but i am pretty confused right now any suggestions or help is apreciated.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:45 am

Well, did you try running the network setup wizard within XP? It will set all the IP and subnet stuff for you. Otherwise you will need someone from the campus to tell you how to get it running.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:51 am

i already did that and checked the ip adress and stuff its all set to automatic so i dont know whats wrong. i manually set up my own high speed internet connection.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

network type

Postby Roach412 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:39 pm

you might want to check what kind of network the campus is using. some require installation of an actual network application, kind of like novell. i had to set up some of my friends' comps and install software in order to allow them access to the network (not only novell though...)

does your university have a IT website? or maybe a 'residential network' website? they could have some FAQs or maybe a walkthrough you can print. :?

i would be surprised if they don't provide a reasonable (read: FREE :D ) support for students connecting to their network.

-Roach
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:54 pm

I would contact the ITS department for the campus if there are any special setup instructions.
Most are just plug and go..

Alot of times people pick up spyware that prevents internet surfing (just ran into this today on a system at our campus).

You'll need a program like Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy to help remove it.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kokalo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:24 pm

You may need to check your firewall settings, if you haven't done that already, but what I have come accross at my University network is that the NIC's MAC id numer had to be registered in the network access database, along with IP address and access policies, which may also involve ammending the access lists on the swtitches and routers at the college - in short, check with the resident IT personell at the college.
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby cwl157 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 pm

ive heard that a lot of people in my dorm building are having the same problem so this means that its probably something wrong with their network and not my computer thats all i was worried about. so now all i can do is just wait until it gets fixed.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking