I really suck at networking

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I really suck at networking

Postby landincoldfire » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:18 am

Ok I have my new build up and running. A AMD64 3000+ paired with a MSI Neo-FIRS2, Windows XP home with the onboard nic. I want to transfer some Files from my old build using a network. But I'll be damn if I can get them to connect.

Both computers are using onboard nic cards, Realtek RTL8110 Family Gigabit Nic. Both are using XP home updated, they are named and are using the same work group.

The IP and subnet mask are different. So I tried several things to force XP to get another Lan Stack. Because I'm sure having ZoneAlarm running on the old computer didnt allow it to match up the stack as it should. I've tried restarting some of the services such as DNS, Static IP and Computer Browser. But came up empty handed.

Seeing that this is just a temp to transfer files I didnt want to run out a buy a router. So, Im using a Linksys hub. Which should work, both systems can connect to the internet.

Any Idea's?
landincoldfire
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby kokalo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:28 am

Start -> control panel -> network connection -> select the connection in question -> rightclick and scroll down to "properties" -> doubleclick "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and enter, say 192.168.100.2 SNM 255.255.255.0 on one and 192.168.100.3 SNM 255.255.255.0 on the other. Your gateway will be your DSL/Cable modem/router IP if you have one, otherwise leave it on "auto".
Get a crossover cable, allow shares between the computers (Firewall as well as in the drive/folder options) and have fun!
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby landincoldfire » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:13 pm

Well, thanks for the reply. But I have already tried that and still no joy.
landincoldfire
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby kokalo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:52 pm

You do have admin privileges on both PCs, I assume?
landincoldfire wrote:But I have already tried that and still no joy.

Did the IP address change not work, or is there something else?
ImageImage

P3! (No, not PIII)
kokalo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby landincoldfire » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:30 pm

Hehe...nope the change didnt work. But when I changed it back to automatic it must of forced windows to change it.

I have the network up and running....funny thing though I did that a few times last night. Never had any luck. But I have my 8 gig's of MP3s moved so I am happy.

But I sure wish I could remember just what it was I did for the next time.....

Thanks for whatever it was I did.
landincoldfire
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dr_st » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:41 pm

In general, the XP network setup wizard should make everything simple and automatic, setting all the IPs and subnets for you. You didn't mention that you used it. If you haven't - consider doing so in the future, as it may save you some time.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby landincoldfire » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:08 am

Of course I used the wizard, always the easiest route first for me. I'm almost beginning to think it was a few issues effecting my needs.

Shuting done Zone Alarm and making sure the Cat5 cable from the cable modem was in the uplink of the switch box.

It's things like this that make me wonder how I managed to get A+ certifed. Though if one isnt working on computers all the time, would tend to forget a few things. And that would be me.
landincoldfire
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dr_st » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:30 am

landincoldfire wrote:Shuting done Zone Alarm and making sure the Cat5 cable from the cable modem was in the uplink of the switch box.

Yeah, it's better to have everything plugged the way you'd normally want it to be plugged when running the wizard. And firewalls, well don't get me started on them.

Also, I recently discovered that my IEEE 1394 network connections which I don't use but exist plainly due to mobo having firewire ports may interfere. From some reason, TCP/IP was enabled for them, and it got the wizard confused - it tried bridging them with the Gigabit connection and as a result the PC was unable to see its neighbor, even though the neighbor saw it. Disabled TCP/IP for the IEEE 1394 connections - worked like a charm.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby landincoldfire » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:35 pm

I'll have to remember that part about the firewire ports, or try to anyway.
landincoldfire
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking