16+ hours and got nowhere Please Help

Moderator: The Mod Squad

16+ hours and got nowhere Please Help

Postby White93GrandPrix » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:48 pm

I am trying to Network 2 computers to share files, printer, and a scanner. Both computers are running Windows XP Pro and have onboard LAN run to a Workstation HUB. The HUB is connected to the cable modem. Both are online, and each have their own firewall installed.

I spent 16+ hours today trying to network them using a workgroup. I ran the XP Network Wizard on each, set up the shares and permissions on the folders, and no matter what I do I can not get the network working. On mine I can see the workgroup, and oth computers listed as part of it. When I try to go into the other computer I can't. On the other computer it doesn't even show the workgroup. They were both set up using the exact same settings.

I don't know what to try anymore. I searched for answers and none of the information I found has gotten me anywhere except more angry. I read the Networking information on this site and when I changed the TCP/IP settings from automatic the only difference it made was that the internet stopped working on both computers. The firewall isn't causing it because I shut it down on both systems and still had no change. I know my ISP is able to be used as I am trying to because I had it working with 3 computers and the same HUB 2 years ago when we had Windows 98 on everything.

Can anyone help???
White93GrandPrix
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby spb251272 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:31 am

What firewall are you using? On my home network, I had similar problems when I installed Norton Internet Security, as the firewall was blocking the computers access from each other. I simply typed in the isp of the computers into each other's firewall settings to allow them access to each other.

MountainMods U2-UFO / Asus A8N SLI Premium
X2 3800+@2.5Ghz / XP90c / 2GB OCZ Gold GE XTC
2 x XFX 7900GT SLI / VF900-CU / 2 x 200GB WD
Tagan EasyCon 530W / Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech G7
spb251272
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking