problems setting up network...Need a little help

Moderator: The Mod Squad

problems setting up network...Need a little help

Postby snakebite66 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:10 am

Ok here is the specs Netgear 54 Mbps wireless ADSL Router
Connected to XP home computer via onboard (ABIT NF7-S V2) RJ45 connection...connects to internet Broadband connection running fine.

Want to network to Windows 98se machine with Netgear 802.11b wireless PCi adaptor.

I have set up the internet sharing from the 98se computer and it can connect to the internet download etc no problems...connection signal is strong.

Problem is getting to actually network the 2 computers..I have tried running all the wizards on both machines but seem to have no joy even though wizards say networks have installed correctly. Network connections show 3 networks... 1394 connection, locl area connection Nvidia nforce ncp, network bridge mac bridge miniport...all say enabled.

On 98 machine nothing just internet access :? :?

Please can someone give me some tips...new to networking and just about to pull all my hair out (-:
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ajrox » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:49 am

first create the work group on an XP machine by doing this:
right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES.
then click the COMPUTER NAME tab.
click on the CHANGE button. under the option for WORK GROUP put in a name. if there is allready one there from your previous set up, change it to get the old info out of the system.
click OK.
then click YES to restart the XP machine.
remeber this name because were going to join the win98 client to it. restart when prompted.
after the XP machine has completely rebooted into windows, we can do the same thing to the win98 machine.
unfortunatly my win98 box crashed, so off hand i cant remember the exact name of the tab in MY COMPUTER properties. so do this :
right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES.
look through the tabs and options untill you find the WORK GROUP name setting.
change this to the work group name you configured in the XP computer. reboot when prompted. you should be up and running.
browse through network nieghborhood and see if the XP machine is listed. chances are you wont be able to browse the XP computer because you haven't shared anything yet.
so on the XP machine do this:
crate a new folder on the desktop of the XP machine, name it TEST and place a word document in there, then close the folder you created.
now right click the folder you created and select PROPERTIES.
then click on the SHARING tab.
click the SHARE THIS FOLDER radio button and leave the default name of TEST for the share name.
now click on the PERMISSONS button of the shared folder and be sure your user account on the XP computer is listed so you can access it from the win98 comp. {the account name you use to log into the XP computer}
to test your network go back to the win98 computer and right click on MY COMPUTER and select MAP NETWORK DRIVE.
in the FOLDER field type in this \\name of XP computer\name of shared folder.
ex: if you were mapping to my shared folder called test then it would look like this \\pyro420\test where pyro420 is my comp name and test is the share name.
it might bring up a user name and password dialoge box. put in your local account name and password for the XP computer that you use to log into and it should complete successfully.
now to access the folder.
if it doesn't come up for you then right click MY COMPUTER and select EXPLORE.
in the left pant you should see a new drive listed called TEST ON PYRO420 {or whatever your comps name is}.
click on it and read the word doc you placed in that shared folder.
hopefully i haven't missed anything any you have created the work group and created a shared folder and tested to see if it worked.
sorry so long winded but i get away with my self on accasion :wink:
good luck
AJ
PS. if it doesn't work immidiatly, wait 5 mins or so to let the computer refresh themsrlves and try once more. post back with your results.
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby snakebite66 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:18 pm

Thanks AJROX...

I will give this a go and let you know how things go...

Many thanks...time is short at the moment because I am back at work but next day off I will give it a go...main thing is internet sharing is up an running.
"Take counsel in wine, but resolve afterwards in water."
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
snakebite66
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ajrox » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:47 pm

:wink:
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards