Connecting multiple OS computers

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby don'tknowmuch » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:52 pm

subdriver20 wrote:Are the HDD's in the systems running XP formated NTFS? If they are then the other systems will not be able to see or share the HDD's. You can get a program for 98se that allows read capability of NTFS drives with limited rite. http://www.sysinternals.com/

Just put in your XP install disk in the '98 rig, go to setting up a network and XP will drop all the necessary files to link you to the XP rigs.
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby dr_st » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:31 am

Hardware Junkie wrote:
dr_st wrote:
That's true. However, I'd like to have my question answered:

Can a general router that doesn't support IPX for routing provide just the physical connection needed for two machines to be able to see itself via their own IPX drivers?

As I speak, my plan becomes clearer. I'm gonna buy a router and only if it fails to provide the above physical connection, I'm gonna buy a separate Ethernet card.

I am pretty sure the answer is no

Q: Does the Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router support IPX or AppleTalk?
A: No. TCP/IP is the only protocol standard for the Internet and has become the global standard for communications. IPX, a NetWare communications protocol used only to route messages from one node to another, and AppleTalk, a communications protocol used on Apple and Macintosh networks, can be used from LAN to LAN connections, but those protocols cannot connect from WAN to LAN.

http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=68

I actually paid attention to this exact question and answer. Look at this:
IPX, a NetWare communications protocol used only to route messages from one node to another...can be used from LAN to LAN connections...

From this it's unclear whether they mean that in general it's possible to use IPX for LAN (as if anyone didn't know that) or that their router allows IPX on the LAN, but not between the LAN and the WAN (which is something, like I said, I don't need).

Well, whatever it is, it doesn't really matter anymore, because I want a router. If it works, fine, if not - i'll just get another network card for the 98 machine.

Thanks go out to Hardware Junkie and everyone who helped.

don'tknowmuch wrote:Just put in your XP install disk in the '98 rig, go to setting up a network and XP will drop all the necessary files to link you to the XP rigs.

That is very much true and I used it when I connected my laptop to the 98 machine via crossover. Works perfectly.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby dr_st » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:23 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Recommended Router (s):
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=274
Has built in Print Server

A couple of questions. Reading the specs of this very expensive router show that it has one USB port and one LPT port, which means you can connect two printers to it. Does it mean it will also be able to function as a print server for both of them? The documentation left me with inconclusive information - in some places it distinctly says "share multiple printers" or "one parallel print server, one USB print server", while in some it just says "share a printer" or "print server".

Also, is there any chances the print server app will refuse to set up propely in Win98SE?
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:35 pm

I am not sure about the questions reguarding multiple printers, you'll have to contact DLINK.

Also, is there any chances the print server app will refuse to set up propely in Win98SE?

You may have to download TCP/IP printing support, but I believe it would show up in Network Neighborhood if properly configured.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dr_st » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:38 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:You may have to download TCP/IP printing support, but I believe it would show up in Network Neighborhood if properly configured.

I've just seen that they have "Print server software for Win98/ME" for download, so I assume it was tested and works.

I'll contact them about the multiple printer issue and if they reply, I'll inform you.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby dr_st » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:58 pm

OK, I received the info I wanted from D-Link.

On the dual printer ports they say that the router indeed can function as a server to both printers. The only limitation is that I cannot print from one printer if there is a job in progress on the other.

On the IPX issue they say that it should work without any problems, because the switch provides unmanaged 10/100 physical interface. I assume that this is general to all router that incorporate such a switch, so it's good news. However, I doubt they actually tested it, so until I test it myself, I cannot be 100% sure.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Previous

Return to Networking