Router network lag

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Router network lag

Postby Alectronic » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:02 pm

Does anyone know how to stop other pcs plugged into my router lagging me?

Or, even better.... best set up for Dynalink RTA-300 router, networking setup. There are 3 pcs connected to the router.
Alectronic

Postby ajrox » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:37 pm

how are they "lagging" you exactly?
ideally just set the router up so that you have a class C {24bit} subnet:
use an internal IP address range like :
the routers IP address should default to :
this address will be the DNS server address for the computers and the default gateway for the computers {located in the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION network adapter properties}.
assign the computers the IP addresses of :
192.168.50.10 PC #1
192.168.50.11 PC #2
192.168.50.12 PC #3
{located in the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION network adapter properties}.
and put in a class C subnet {24bit} on each computer:
{located in the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION network adapter properties}.
and your ready to rock.
if your lagging it could be that your DNS server address on the PCs is incorrect or its set up on the router improperly. then they start to braodcast and flood your little network with traffic.
hope this helps
good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Alectronic » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:47 am

Thanks heaps for the reply ajrox,
thats what i have done, i manually assigned the ip's and pretty sure it is correct all computers can surf the web at the same time, but i get lag when im gaming.
[quote]use an internal IP address range like :
the routers IP address should default to :
Not to sure what you mean here? internal IP address range ?? are you saying change the Routers IP to an internal IP address range? like 192.168.50.0 ?
Im thinking its the routers settings? if there even is a problem or is this normal? Im thinking there will always be interference basicly cause all computers will endup having to use the same line?. Or is it posible to set the router in such a way that there wont be any interferance from other computers.
my guess is that the more stable i want it the slower the connection will be??? maybe im just never satisfied :lol: i apreciate your help mate, will be greatfull if anymore cheers. [/quote]
Alectronic

Postby ajrox » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:12 pm

sorry, my einstien equasion ran off again.
there are basically 2 types of IP addresses:
PUBLIC: like the one assigned to you from your isp. an IP address that can be seen and hit from the outside world.
PRIVATE: this is more of a domain style of network and if you notice, most routers run off of something like 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.1.0 or some thing similiar, as a default. this allows for a more secure network and enough IP address for hurculean sized networks without flubbing up the internet.
what routers really do is this, map a PUBLIC IP address to a range of PRIVATE ip addresses. this is how 5 computers share a single internet connection. the router "routes" traffic to and from.
anyway,
so you only lag when your playing games on your LAN {network, comps attached to your router}.
are you certain that your router has DNS enabled {it might say DDNS for dynamic}. sounds like your computers are broadcasting the whole time so your lagging.
go here,
right click MY NETWORK PLACES and select PROPERTIES then right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION and select PROPERTIES and then highlight TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES. now, under the option that says PREFERED DNS SERVER, you should have the IP address of the router listed. if you do then you might have the DNS server in the router itself misconfigured. my router has DDNS and picks up and remembers the computers names and the IP address ive assigned to them.
hope this made a bit more sense this time.
good luck
AJ
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Flyin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:13 pm

was anything resolved?
Flyin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Router network lag

Postby Alectronic » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:06 am

Well.... Ive done
right click MY NETWORK PLACES and select PROPERTIES then right click LOCAL AREA CONNECTION and select PROPERTIES and then highlight TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES. now, under the option that says PREFERED DNS SERVER, you should have the IP address of the router listed
:) and yes I do have the IP of the router listed under prefered dns server.... but :?: .... I do not understand whatcha mean by:
if you do then you might have the DNS server in the router itself misconfigured. my router has DDNS and picks up and remembers the computers names and the IP address ive assigned to them
and if it is misconfigured how I go about reconfiguring it? :?

Sorry if these are silly questions :oops: ... I'm new to the adsl world, this is my first router. Please persist in helping me... I'm a fast learner and I really wanna get this set up right so others on my network can still surf, dl etc while I am gaming. :D
Alectronic

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:56 am

I am not sure what he's talking about. My DNS server settings are set to those of my ISP. I have it set to automatically get them from the router and it provides me with my ISPs DNS settings.

What are yours at?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ajrox » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:14 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:I am not sure what he's talking about. My DNS server settings are set to those of my ISP. I have it set to automatically get them from the router and it provides me with my ISPs DNS settings.

What are yours at?

your router is forwarding to your ISPs DNS server , not assigning your ISPs dns server settings to your computer.
do an IPCONFIG /ALL and notice that your getting the routers IP address for your DNS server settings {if i understand that your running the router as a DHCP server and the comps are getting dynamic addressing}. but anyway, as long as your hitting web sites you should be good.
anyway, to the problem at hand,
how bout turning on the DHCP server in the router and setting your clients to DYNAMIC addressing? lets see if the problem persisits.
post back with results.
good luck
AJ
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

how severe?

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:53 am

my first question before attacking the network itself, is 'how severe is the lag?' 8O

having multiple connections working at the same time, and depending on the game being played(i.e. strategy versus shooter), the bandwidth requirements may be such that if somebody is dl-ing a website it hampers the high bandwidth-required game. :x if that's the case, there's no settings which are going to help reduce lag...you'll need a larger pipe to get more data through to compensate.

if the lag is spikes, then it's probably something like what i said above. if it's always crappy then it could be the network settings (hopefully it's this :!: ). getting a bigger pipe is a bit more costly than just tweaking some settings, so i hope for your sake it's settings!

-Roach
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Alectronic » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:20 pm

Hi, thanks for the info and think im understanding a little more. I'm thinking that my problem cant really be fixed? and dont really know the difrence between spikes and lag. I think it might be spiking cause its like really screwed like jumping back and forth and telleporting :lol: .
Is this router verygood? or is there really any difrence in difrent routers?
Im using a Dynalink RTA300 if anyone out there is using this router with atlest 2 computers through it and thinks it might be a good setting i would be keen to try your settings. I have a Nokia Ni500 adsl could this be better? thanks for ya help and sorry i take my time replying to your messages. chur chur!!
Alectronic

Next

Return to Networking