The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

The other thing is wifi far from being perfect still has hardware and software compatibility issues where different wifi cards are very poor compared to others. I would still try it without the access point and see what happens. I try and keep everything wired as wifi is still hit and miss and if it goes down, it is a lot harder to pinpoint the issue than on a wired network.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

My Cable Modem plugs into my Linksys BEFSX41 Wired Router. I did have ethernet cables to my PC, Smart HDTV, TP Link Powerline, and W.A.P.

But the W.A.P. signal wasn't staying consistent. I chatted with a TP Link rep. They told me that I could connect the W.A.P. on the receiving end of the TP Link Powerline.
It does work but the signal still isn't staying consistent. :(

The TP Link Powerline is working, because both my ROKU & AFTV are working.

What do I need to do? Networking isn't my strongest subject. lol But I'm learning as I go.

Is it the cables, W.A.P., or something else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What other devices nearby are using the WIFI signal band? 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are the primary bands, and shared by remote controls, data links, portable computers, smart phones and some cell phones . The stronger signal can override the desired signal at times.. causing link loss or poor communications. Even a microwave oven nearby or a microwave tower miles away can affect your signal clarity. Some devices transmit a "dirty" signal.
And reflective metal surfaces can cause echos or distorted data.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=134478

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

To me, it sounds more like a problem with the tablet. If all these other devices are working well on the network, and only a single one is struggling...the most likely problem is the single device. Do you have a phone that does the same thing? Can the tablet work without issue at other wifi locations (coffee shop, friends' place, restaurant...)? Is it up to date? Is a factory reset an option to simply start over with the tablet's configuration/updates/etc.?

Do you have the tablet set to only connect to your network (remove all other network configurations off it)? Do you have it set to get a static IP from the router, or is it dynamic? Have you tried checking/changing the IP lease times within the WAP? You can download some free "signal analyzer" apps for your tablet which will show the amount of networks/noise/etc. in your area - and some have diagnostic capabilities (most likely not free).

-R

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Karlsweldt wrote:
What other devices nearby are using the WIFI signal band? 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are the primary bands, and shared by remote controls, data links, portable computers, smart phones and some cell phones . The stronger signal can override the desired signal at times.. causing link loss or poor communications. Even a microwave oven nearby or a microwave tower miles away can affect your signal clarity. Some devices transmit a "dirty" signal.
And reflective metal surfaces can cause echos or distorted data.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=134478

The only things that need the W.A.P. signal are my Tablet & Laptop. Both are used in the same room as the W.A.P. A cheap Trac cellphone is also recharged in the same room along with a cordless landline house phone.
There is a microwave in the next room.

Roach412 wrote:
To me, it sounds more like a problem with the tablet. If all these other devices are working well on the network, and only a single one is struggling...the most likely problem is the single device. Do you have a phone that does the same thing? Can the tablet work without issue at other wifi locations (coffee shop, friends' place, restaurant...)? Is it up to date? Is a factory reset an option to simply start over with the tablet's configuration/updates/etc.?

Do you have the tablet set to only connect to your network (remove all other network configurations off it)? Do you have it set to get a static IP from the router, or is it dynamic? Have you tried checking/changing the IP lease times within the WAP? You can download some free "signal analyzer" apps for your tablet which will show the amount of networks/noise/etc. in your area - and some have diagnostic capabilities (most likely not free).

-R

The only things I use with the W.A.P. are the Tablet & Laptop. I do not have a regular cellphone. I don't use the tablet or Laptop at other wifi locations. The Laptop should be up to date. But I don't know if the Tablet is, or even how to do it.

If I did do a factory reset, would that fix the connection issues?

I only have it set to use the Wifi signal from my network. I'm not sure if the IP is Static or Dynamic. How would I change the IP lease times within the WAP?

This Tablet is a cheap Polaroid PMID921X Android. Downloading apps is a real project, if possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

The W.A.P. keeps flashing the white Linksys button. While others rotate red, yellow, and green.

I don't know what to do.

Do you think I may need a new W.A.P. ? If so what brand/model(s) should I consider? I would like to stick with my current Wired router Linksys BEFSX41.

Or do you think I should replace my router as well? What Wired brand/model(s) should I consider?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Have you checked with the Linksys site as to causes/solutions?
That blinking light may indicate corrupt firmware. Maybe easy to resolve.
https://www.linksys.com/pl/support-arti ... Num=133192

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:09 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Would that "fix" also apply to the W.A.P. ? My router seems to be working fine. I'm currently using my PC wired to it right now.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I contacted Linksys about my issue. But they pushed for a new router, because mine is old.
A couple options: cascade another router or range extender

So I could replace my Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with this: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WAP300N/
Or
I could replace both my Linksys Wired Router (BEFSX41) & Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with this: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE9000/

What are the opinions of these? Which would be easier to set up?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

****Extra****

Another new piece to add to this puzzle. I recently dropped my Cable service in favor of just Internet. I decided to increase me speed from: TWC Standard 15/1 to Spectrum Internet 100/10
But so far I haven't seen anything like that AFAIK.

Ubee Modem
Model: DDM3521
https://www.timewarnercable.com/content ... _Modem.pdf
Approved for Internet plans with download speeds of up to 100Mbps.

I've done a few different speed tests for comparisons. Tried modem reboots, etc. Here are my results.

01/26/18

https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html
12:04 AM
DL 3.52 Mbps
UL 6.44 Mbps

12:05 AM
DL 7.80 Mbps
UL 7.47 Mbps

12:06 AM
DL 7.57 Mbps
UL 7.04 Mbps

After soft Modem reboot:

12:11 AM
DL 5.40 Mbps
UL 7.32 Mbps

12:13 AM
DL 6.77 Mbps
UL 6.13 Mbps

12:15 AM
DL 5.45 Mbps
UL 6.70 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net
12:40 AM
DL 5.03 Mbps
UL 4.26 Mbps

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/
12:42 AM
DL 9.79 Mbps
UL 8.54 Mbps

http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/in ... -test.html
12:44 AM
DL 9.1 Mbps
UL 7.7 Mbps

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
12:45 AM
DL 10.83 Mbps
UL 10.39 Mbps

The best I seen was yesterday around 4:30 PM something like DL 14 Mbps UL 15 Mbps

Am I missing something, or are those speeds good? They are double than what I was getting before. But they don't seem right.

I plan to stream full time so I want them to be correct. I'm scheduled for a tech visit, but can I do anything on my end?

So here is where I stand:

Spectrum Internet 100/10 (Speeds don't seem fast enough)
Tablet & Laptop not holding Wireless Signal from Linksys W.A.P.

What should I do? Do I completely reinstall Wired Router & Linksys W.A.P.? If so will I need to reset my TP Link Powerline set?
Would a factory reset fix the WiFi issue?

Would a Split effect the Modem speeds? My coax Cable comes in through the wall outlet to a split. One coax goes to my Cable Modem. The other "did" go to
my Cable box. Now it has been removed. Could that be part of the problem? If I remove the split and run the coax straight to the Cable Modem, would it improve?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

I changed to Spectrum Internet (100Mbps)

Currently I use the supplied Ubee Modem Model: DDM3521.

I replaced both my old Linksys Wired Router (BEFSX41) & Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with a Linksys MAX-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigbit Router Model# EA7500

The good news: My laptop & tablet connection issues are gone. :)

I just ran a few speed tests.

1/28/18
Speedtest.net 3:05AM
DL 71.22 Mbps
UL 11.77 Mbps

Xfinity Speedtest 3:06AM
DL 72.93 Mbps
UL 12.17 Mbps

AT&T Speedtest 3:07AM
DL 72.93 Mbps
UL 12.17 Mbps

Verizon Speedtest 3:08AM
DL 67.27 Mbps
UL 12.22 Mbps

Centurylink Speedtest 3:10AM
DL 68.0 Mbps
UL 11.9 Mbps

Spectrum Speedtest 3:16AM
DL 70.06 Mbps
UL 11.98 Mbps

How do my results look? Should I be getting better results than this? Or am I getting good speeds for my plan?

Would a tech visit improve on this?

I did also pick a ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.
Should I use this instead, or are me speeds fine?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Speed test results look decent, but maximum data speeds can be affected by complexity of file structure, and packet makeup. Then too, number of users on line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next