Fiber Optics and My Home Network

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Fiber Optics and My Home Network

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:41 am

The community I live in just finished being wired by AT&T fiber optics phone and Internet. We all had to get it, no choice. What we did have a choice in was the speed of the Internet service. The choices were 6.0 20.0 & 45.0 I think they were. I went with the standard 6.0. I checked my speed and it reads 7.66 Mbps Down & 1.44 Mbps Up ....

The thing is when they installed everything it was all wireless networking and the huge u-verse router was placed at the installers easiest location, one sloppy job. I had my thoughts on this and before I was scheduled to have my home converted to fiber optics I bought a roll of Cat 6 cable and ran it from my desk to the utility panel in the laundry room. When the installer showed up I told him to wire it so I can have my main laptop hard wired with an Ethernet cable and the other Laptops would be wireless.

He did what I wanted to do and after he left I reset the router and changed the name of my network, the networks password and the routers I.D. Password. Also changed the computers Windows password that the installer had known.

Everything works good plus I have that added extra edge of security of my network with my main laptop not being connected to the Internet via wireless. I am thinking of stopping broadcasting my networks name if it would stop all broadcasting of my entire network ????

Not being an ace at this I hope I accomplished what I had intended to do.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Fiber Optics and My Home Network

Postby Roach412 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:12 am

If you don't broadcast, the network won't be "seen" by anyone who's just browsing. But, if you have your other laptops(devices/etc.) configured to know about that network ID they'll still find it just fine.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset