Problem Acquiring Network Address

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Problem Acquiring Network Address

Postby OneSpirit » Fri May 15, 2015 5:15 pm

For some reason I can no longer get a wireless connection. As some of you already know I was having problems booting into windows and I finally got that problem solved, but then I discovered I could not get a wireless connection anymore no matter what I tried.

I did a search on this problem and there are tons of people with this problem of being stuck at acquiring network address and going no further. I have tried everything I saw suggested.

I went into the cmd prompt and did and ipconfig /flushdns ... ipconfig /release ... and ipconfig /renew and that didn't work.

I use the run feature and use the service msc and made sure automatic was selected in the NLA.

I checked the TCP/IP and made sure that was set for automatic.

I tried disabling and enabling the wireless connection.

I tried the repair option, but it just gets stuck at acquiring network address.

I tried to unplug the modem and router, waited over 60 sec. pluggled the modem first wait for it to come on completely then the router then tried the cmd prompt using those ipconfig commands I mention earlier.

I tried to reinstall the driver for the wireless network adapter. I checked the device manager and it states that the adapter is working properly. I can see the LED light flashing as it usually does.

Here is some of the info I got from the ipconfig ...
Physical address: 00-E0-55-00-01-61
DHCP Enabled ................. Yes
Autoconfig Enabled .......... Yes
IP Address ....................... 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask .................... 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server .................... 255.255.255.255
DNS Server ...................... 156.154.70.22
IP Routing Enabled ............ No
WINS Proxy Enabled ......... No

I have done so many different things I can't remember them all.

I am using my XP machine. I hope I have given enough information if not, let me know. :-|
Main Rig_Intel i7 4770k@3.50
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64
Rig2_AMD FX8120
GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 Mobo
4Gb DDR3 1600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Rosewill M650
Win7 64
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Problem Acquiring Network Address

Postby evasive » Sat May 16, 2015 12:20 am

Those are the old secure DNS servers from Comodo, they changed them:
https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

Do you have any other device that you can test the router with? Are you making a MAC address whitelist at some point? Can you reach the router if you use a cabled connection?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OneSpirit » Sat May 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Oh wow ... I'm having problems with comodo right now with the xp machine. That started after I got the driver situation straighten out. After the computer boots up I get a message that comodo security agent can't start. So I'm checking the comodo forum for answers.

I was able to get back on line, but the circumstances were a bit shakey. I turned off the computers and power cycled the modem and the router.

I waited a little over 60 sec. Powered up the modem and waited until it was all lit up. Then I powered up the router and waited until it was done. I powered up the main computer and found I didn't have any internet access when I did before the power cycle.

I made sure it wasn't my server by connecting the computer directly to the modem... I was able to get on line.

I shut down the computer again and tried the power cycle again. Once the modem came on fully, then the router came back up I noticed the light for the ethernet wasn't lighting on the computer (mobo) ... maybe it was because it was not on I'm not sure, but I tried different ethernet cables, one I knew to work. Since I didn't see a light I decide to boot the computer, then I saw the light going on the mobo.

But I still didn't have any internet access so I tried the power cycle ... first with just the router ... then the modem and the router ... still no access. I played around with the cable unplugging and replugging into the router, then notice I had access again.

When I open up Firefox it when straight the the linksys router page stating my router was not secure and I had to make it so. I changed the SSID and my password, got that all together.

Once I saw I had internet access to the main computer I turned on the XP computer and it stated it found more than one network and to choose which one to connect to. I did. It when through its thing, and stated it was connected, but when I tried to get a web page I could not.

So I kept fiddling with the USB network adapter ... removing it and plugging it back in. Had to do that a couple of times, then finally I got online, but I'm not sure it will last or not. A couple of times I lost internet access and I had to unplug and replug the USB network adapter in order to really be online and not just state it yet no access.

Is the problem completely solved? I don't know.
Main Rig_Intel i7 4770k@3.50
ECS H87H3-WM Ver1
16Gb DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 1050Ti GPU
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
Corsair CX750M
Win7 Ultimate x64
Rig2_AMD FX8120
GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 Mobo
4Gb DDR3 1600
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 550TI
Seagate 1TB SATA 7200RPM
WD100000 SATA 7200RPM
Rosewill M650
Win7 64
OneSpirit
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sun May 17, 2015 3:15 am

Shaky USB stuff: usually something in the power circuits. Be it on your motherboard, the power supply or even inside that USB adapter itself. I am leaning more and more to bad capacitors. Again.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 am

Perhaps It is related to the unknown USB device that U were seeing in the windows device manager
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 pm

..found more than one network and to choose which one to connect to.

That likely is the cause of your problem. Duplicate network setups can cause hair pulling.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:28 am

look in the control panel > network conections if U have any redundant conection and delete it

or U can simply delete every of the conections and rebuild only the ones that U need, write in a sheet any info that U need to keep before deleting anything!
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking