Find IP Address

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Find IP Address

Postby Mark H » Fri May 08, 2015 3:35 pm

My company was bought out, and the new company finally got around to installing their POS system, and of course all the internal IP addresses changed. The issue I'm having is, our energy management system is only accessible via Chrome, and the IP address for the unit has changed. Even the local 192.168.xx.xxx no longer works. Is there a way to find the new IP address? We have tried direct connecting and using the "ipconfig" "ipconfig /all" and "arp -a" commands. The only IP address returned is the laptop ethernet.

Should this request violate any rules, delete it

TIA
Mark
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Find IP Address

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 09, 2015 5:56 am

"ipconfig /all" is typically best for Intranet results. Not best for Internet results.
There are hundreds of ways to find an IP address or route. This link can disclose your IP server tag and location. Add in any IP address to find its location. Leave blank for your location. http://www.iplocationfinder.com/
Some of those commands or programs are very safe, but others may dump malware on your system!
Then too Cisco does have a proper protocol for IP routing and commands..
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/io ... indp1.html
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/io ... -lisp.html
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mark H » Sat May 09, 2015 6:09 am

When looking, we used a straight through cable. Would a crossover cable work better. We tried at the energy management center, and disconnected the cable at the hub/switch and plugged it into the laptop.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 09, 2015 2:53 pm

For connecting a LAN cable between two computers, a crossover cable is required.
For connecting a LAN cable between a hub or router and a computer, standard cable is required.
For connecting a LAN cable between a modem (provider interface) and a hub, router or computer, a crossover cable may be required, if there is not a normal/reverse switch provided for the primary LAN port.
If neither type of cable allows viewing the IPA of units, then masking (similar to a VPN) may be in effect to protect the system from unauthorized access.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun May 10, 2015 11:52 pm

It has picked up a new IP address from their DHCP server. If you know the MAC-address of the network adapter the new company should be able to find it in their DHCP leases. Otherwise you could use zenmap (GUI version of nmap) to make a complete inventory of the local segment, just scanning port 80 (or whatever port the webpage is running on), you can see from the answer what you are dealing with.

It's too bad they already changed the whole thing, I was lucky enough to do a thorough scan just a few weeks in advance so I can track back what was where and lookup the MAC adresses in the new scan to find back whatever devices...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:55 am

Check Advanced IP Scanner out. use it all the time and it does the job for me. If you have a wireless access in, you can use Fing or the like on a smartphone to determine IP's...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Mark H » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 am

Should have posted sooner. Area mechanic had to install some software to enable access. Problem solved.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:21 am

It's fine, thank you for letting us know all is working now.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking