Trying out homeplug network....

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Trying out homeplug network....

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:43 am

Well have moved into my new house, and due to BT (British Telecom)I have the nearest phone point in the living room, miles away from my upstairs 'computer' room... So, being an n class, draytek vigor, I thought I would get a good signal, and yes, I do, providing the WIFI card is an Edimax RT2500 chip and latest drivers are installed, then I get a constant 90 to 100% signal. no drop out...

My two other desktop machines run 64bit XP pro, so searching for wifi drivers for the wireless cards ain't too good (Yes, I didn't use Edimax 'cos these cards are from previous builds and still work good), unlike Edimax, who have them on their website...

Soooo... I thought I'd try another card and got a Belkin Wireless G+ PCI card to try (bargain bin in staples)... NO 64 BIT drivers, and NO Vista drivers that work either... So look for the chipset and get drivers specific for that - broadcom 4318... Yay, easy I thought, broadcom XP 64 bit drivers all over - NONE work...

1 moral of this sorry tale so far - DO NOT buy Belkin products, dreadful support (firmware and drivers) and like an idiot, I tested this yet again....

Sooooo... Lets try internet connection sharing - No work at all, even though it should - appears wired supercedes wireless on the TCP/IP stack and kicks out any wireless card that is shared in preference of a wired one.. And no, messing with Proxy servers is not my Forte when glowering with rage...

Anyhow... Got hold of two 200Mbps homeplus... Ignoring the setup, plugged them both into extension cords, surge protected, wire to router and the one in my room wire to a switch, then to 64bit XP machines - works straight away at 100Mbps (speed test, however ping the router from the command prompt and the packet times are all over)...

So.......... So far, homeplug works great, avoid Advent ones as they die quickly... Plugging them into extensions, rather than directly to a wall socket - WORKS... And using a switch WORKS.....

And, they are still overpriced, but worth it.... :D
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:45 am

Well essentially it is copper they are using so no concrete or wire mesh to block them. You get what you pay for, this 200MBps stuff is pretty new so you're paying their development costs. Thanks for the feedback, if I have people in new houses with solid reinforced concrete I know what to get them instead of wireless.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:57 am

I may be looking into similar here in the States, as wheels and cat5 really don't work too well together, and I need to run two long lines (don't ask me why, but I don't like desktop wireless cards.......probably the same reason I don't like carrots). Keep us posted on longer term results.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:26 pm

The ones I am using are by devolo and called dLAN 200 AVeasy.........

Oh, and yes, Belkin is still s**t.... :x
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Ugh.........looks like European plugs only, no US models. Oh well, I'm just researching right now. I do have a roll of cat5, I can replace broken wires easily enough.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:23 pm

These look OK... Homeplug was extensively tested in the states by the FCC and obviousley passed well, however it looks like you may need surge protection in certain areas were voltage is not smooth or wiring is old and weak....
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:19 pm

This comes with built-in 4 port switch.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:04 am

Loads I looked at, I know the Netgear ones work well and are pricey... Other ones had USB as well as LAN... And you can also get wireless ones too... I couldn't find that product locally ( I needed the PC sooner rather than later, as usual 8) )... Hopefully the ones I am using will last the test of time.... :roll:
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:19 am

I'll look into the Netgear models. I already have a good wireless router, the problem being I have thick, heavy plaster and lath walls, wireless signals don't go very far, and if my nice, heavy wood door is closed, you can forget a connection to the other side of the house. Expensive, but I'm not in a real hurry..........I suppose my other option is to get my landlord to drill a few holes in the floor and run cabling through the basement, but I doubt he'll want to do that for me. He's already not particularly happy about the wheelchair ramp I have installed on the side porch.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Networking