Network storage/synchronization/backup strategy

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Network storage/synchronization/backup strategy

Postby scruffy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 pm

I have two computers, a laptop and a desktop, and I'm trying to figure out how to synchronize files across them. I use them both equally when I'm at home. (I use the desktop when I need to do photo scanning, disc copying, and other tasks. I tend to use the laptop when surfing the internet.)

I'd like them both to have access to the same set of data files. This suggests to me that I should store my data files on some kind of network attached storage and have each computer write to that storage by default.

However, I also travel with my laptop and I'd like to take all of my files with me when traveling. I don't want to have to rely on an internet connection to get access to my data.

So I'd also like to have my data files on my laptop.

Does anyone else face this dilemma?

What is the best strategy for accomplishing this? Should I just store all my data files on each computer locally, and then synchronize each computer with the network storage each night so both computers have the same files/versions at all times?

Or should I store everything on the network storage as a default and then synchronize to my laptop only when I want to travel?

And finally, if I decide to store on the network storage as a default, should I transfer location of "My Documents" to the network storage?

Any help is appreciated.
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Best would be a small NAS type storage/backup device. About 250 GB or so should handle your needs. Set up a folder for each computer, so files don't become shuffled or duplicated in one folder. Should be unlimited access, if you don't set passwords or limits. Easy matter to drag over (copy) what info you need, to the laptop. Or, if far afield, set the NAS as an ancillary storage path, and access it via a secure Web link using "Go To My PC" or similar.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scruffy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for the great tips.

I think I will go the NAS route...I've read very good things about the Synology DS209. Here are some NewEgg Reviews

It's a bit pricey but (1) it's got fabulous features (2) it gives me room to grow and (3) it can run SqueezeCenter and stream music to my Logitech Squeezebox 3
scruffy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Networking