Network Nightmare!!

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Network Nightmare!!

Postby Cerberus » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42 am

Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I last visited Mobo.org.

I have a problem setting up a network at my work place and really need some help. Networks are not my forté.

Ok, I work on an oil rig in Africa operating ROVs. We are supplied a wired LAN/Ethernet connection to our control room from the control room of the rig, along with a static ip address, subnet, gateway and DNS server info. One of the guys on the our crew bought a D-Link DSL-2640T wireless ADSL router so that we could all have access to the internet. Easy? No. I have spent he last 5 days trying to set the damn thing up, but to no avail.

I have plugged the incoming cable (from the rig control room) into port 1 of the router and port 2 to the system pc. Works OK. I have plugged other pcs into port 3 & 4, and sometimes you can connect to the internet and sometimes you can't. Also, I can connect to the wireless router no probs but it appears that the wireless router is not connecting to the internet.

I really don't know how to set the router up so that the incoming LAN/Ethernet can be distributed via the other ports to other pc's and broadcast the internet wirelessly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I stamp on it and throw it overboard.
Antec P182.
Asus P5N32-E-SLi.
Intel Q6600.
Arctic Cooler.
2gb Corsair Dominator.
Dominator Cooler.
2 x BFG 8800GT OC 512 in SLi.
Thermaltake Truepower 1200 watt.
2 x WD 250gb sata 16mb raid 0
1 x WD 500gb sata 16mb for storage.

Kill one person and your a murderer. Kill one hundred thousand and your a conquerer.
Cerberus
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby slingo » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Hmmm...since you already have a gateway address... then I'm guessing there's already a router on your network that serves your internet requests.
Can you put the router into an "access point only" mode?

Problem with the router is that it usually works with a DSL modem, which you don't have access to? Since you already have internet you don't need the router. Might look into a small switch and wireless access point as alternatives.
slingo
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Networking