windows 2000 wireless g configuration utility

Moderator: The Mod Squad

windows 2000 wireless g configuration utility

Postby bubbatech » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:10 pm

trying wireless g on w2k laptop with dlink dwl g650. dlink utility don't work tried a few downloads no help. online help says configure ssid but the aplet doesn't have the option. i have not got all my windows updates yet. i have only limited connect ability at this location. anyone have a good utility to recommend?
asus p4s800 2.4g 1.5GB pc 3200 80gb wd, radeon 9200se,

Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....
bubbatech
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Make sure win2k is on service pack 4, then remove the dlink card and place it in the bin... Dlink and Belkin are awful for this sort of thing, they are very poorly supported on the driver front... (I know it is not 'great' advice, but this comes from experience and time lost)... Get an Edimax card, well supported and will work from win98se upwards as well as with all wireless routers....(Edimax is cheap too...)
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

u could b more enlightened than u know

Postby bubbatech » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm

i have had better luck with asus and linksys components overall. trying to download sp4 in xp then installing it to 2000 has not helped. i do have an older sp4 disc instlled but still not working. i just tried my asus wireless b and a zonet usb g that will connect to router but not internet. i am confused because the asus has worked sometimes before. may be i need to be closer to my neighbors router. actually i have permission and the wep.
asus p4s800 2.4g 1.5GB pc 3200 80gb wd, radeon 9200se,

Smash forehead on keyboard to continue.....
bubbatech
Initiate
Initiate

Postby TriAngle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:34 pm

I have used DLink's DWL-G650 WiFi adapters on laptops/desktops for years.
The one hitch is that you must download the correct drivers for the correct hardware version of the G650 you are using, as they make 3 different hardware versions, and all 3 use different drivers, and are not interchangeable.
Hopes this helps.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking