Access issues with 'Local area connection'

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Access issues with 'Local area connection'

Postby videobruce » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 am

XP Pro, DSL modem/router (Westell 327)

1. On one PC, the Local Area Connection double computer icon isn't showing. When I go to Network Connections, then try to open 'Local Area Connections' all I get is a "Unexpected error occurred" message that doesn't show in Event List.
I have internet access, but I can't get this to show. I deleted the NIC in Device manager and reinstalled the drivers, but this still doesn't show. I use fixed IP addresses and need to make some changes for other issues.

2. On another PC, when I go into Local Area Connecions and click on TCP/IP Properties to set a static address. After I hit ok and close it out, when I go back to check, it shows it is set to the default 'Obtain a IP address automatically'.
But, when I check ipconfig, the address is the static address I set it for.

Never had either happen before. Any ideas??
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 pm

1. sounds like cr*pware/malware to me. do a scan with malwarebytes and superantispyware

2. have seen this before, sounds like a corrupt tcp/ip stack there's something like winsockpfix or similar for that, would have to check the exact name...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Chozo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:02 am

To reset Winsock or TCP/IP for XP SP2 and above, open a command prompt (cmd from the Run line) and type "netsh winsock reset" to reset Winsock and "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" to reset TCP/IP (both commands without quotes). Perform the Winsock reset first as it has the least likely chance that you will have to reinstall your antivirus and/or firewall software. Also remember that a restart is needed after each command.

For more information, see the following MS KB articles:

Winsock: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

TCP/IP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
Chozo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby videobruce » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks for the links.
What I would like to know is what exactly happens after the Bios stage and before the desktop appears between the O/S and a router?[/b]
When not in use, turn off the juice.
Think of someone else instead of just yourself. There is far more to it than your utility bill
videobruce
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Networking