ISP question...

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ISP question...

Postby bdub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 am

in my area verizon owns the telephone lines, and i have earthlink dsl as an ISP...
i've been having really horrible dl speeds that just started a few days ago, talked to earthlink chat about it, and they said it's something on their side, wrote up a ticket, they'll get back to me when they know more.
my question is... how does the lines/substation/dns etc playout with this deal when one company is using anothers hardware at some point. is there different substations for each ISP? who owns what, and what is liscenced for use by the other?
any links or explanations are appreciated.

thanks.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 pm

The company which owns the lines must maintain them in proper working order for any other user.. be it the consumer or an ISP provider other than the owning company. But all services and features have to go through the owning company's sub-stations and servers, before their final destinations or use.
But connections at the ultimate user's point can degrade signals for both voice and DSL. If the "user interface" is exposed to weather it can cause heavy resistance across the lines, and affect services plus cause static or "off hook" conditions. If an old lightning arrestor on the lines has not been disabled, it too can cause static and loss of signal.
Easy to test your line by picking up the telephone and dialing any single digit except "0". Listen for absolute silence until the tone comes back. If not absolute silence, then call the local telco provider to check the lines.
But don't forget, if background programming is accessing your ISP service, that can slow down all other desired use!
You can test your DSL speed from this link.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm

thanks for the explanation, K.
looks like the problem is my router, as i get a fair connection speed going straight to the modem. didn't do the test till i got home tonight, so i think i bothered earthlink needlessly.
i usually do my tests at dslreports.com.

is there anything earthlink might have changed on their end that would constitute me needing to reset my router to default and setting it back up again? or maybe my router is on it's way out??? maybe time to look at some nice new gigabit routers, hmm?

again the problem is just REAL SLOW interent connection through the router.

edit: which i've now narrowed down to either the router port that i was using, or possibly the cable. should have it figured out completely when i change the cable tomorrow evening.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Problem may lie with the Telco lines, from the CO (central office or sub-station) to other centers. Your line from home to the CO can be up to 10 miles or so.. a direct connection. But from there, the Telco wishes to use fiber-optic cables for better speed and loading, rather than the older wire cables. But when maintenance needs be done on main trunk cables, a run-around loop may be used.. which increases the lag of data transmission somewhat. Check with neighbors as to their DSL speed using the same provider. If they are experiencing slow-downs also, then it is a 'general' problem and should be normal in a few days. Cold weather and moisture can affect those underground line repeaters too.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Vic the Trader » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Do the different phone, cable, and ISP companies every go at it because of who's doing what on the phone line.

If a phone company wants to add a bridge in a phone line, that can terribly disrupt the DSL.
Vic the Trader
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 am

Just curious, do you have a cordless phone hooked up to the same jack as your DSL modem? I had a problem once with dropped connections and slow speed, turned out to be my cordless phone causing the problem. Moved it to a different phone jack, problem went away.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 pm

fussnfeathers made a good point. The DSL signal may be attenuated by too many telephones on the line, or one without the filter, normally provided by the Telco.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:17 pm

thanks for the replies and thoughts...
i switched jacks in my router, and everything is back up to speed. guess that one jack had been unplugged and plugged in too much.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
antec neo he 650r
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Networking