Connect a wireless notebook to a wired router *UPDATED* w/?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ajrox » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:23 pm

the absolute easiest thing to do here, use a wireless router. maybe it is a little more expensive than the dongle, however, it will work far more easily than any other solution and have all of the options of your wired router. you could even hide the wired router behind the wireless router for better security. a wireless access point would be a bit more expensive than a wireless router in most cases and would require more configuration hassle than a wireless router as well.
trust me on this, i have used them all. hell, I'm sure most on this forum have tried them all as well :lol:
if you are looking to just learn and tweak the hell out of your current situation, then go the ICS way and use the USB dongle. it will be a hair puller to say the least, but it is doable.
good luck bro!!!
aj

PS.. ill keep this thread handy to check your progress as i remember being in your same shoes ^^
good luck bro....
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

*UPDATE*

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:34 am

I ordered both a WAP & Wireless Router. When I received them both I checked them out. I decided to use the WAP because of how I need to set it up. The location of my wired router is perfect, and I don't want to move it. Which wouldn't work well with a wireless router. The antennas wouldn't be standing up.

I set up the Linksys WAP and it's working great. Minus a few set backs caused by the laptop problems.

I believe it's set up secure. So I feel good about it.

wired router is securely passworded
wap is securely passworded
SSID : is securely passworded
SSID Broadcast: *Enabled for now*
WPA-P
Pass Phrase: is securely passworded
MAC: 1 allowed

*I tried Disabling the SSID Broadcast. But I wasn't able to locate my SSID. I understand it won't show up with the broadcasted SSID. But is it possible for me to connect to it without having to broadcasting it?

FYI: I used these two videos to help me set up my network. LMK what you think of them. Is there anything there that I may have missed?

Install and Secure a Wireless Access Point (WAP) Part 1 of 2
Install and Secure a Wireless Access Point (WAP) Part 2 of 2
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby AmEv » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 am

Yes. When you are at the Connect To screen, find a network name similar to "Unnamed Network". Type in SSID, then password.

This should work (unless neighbors did the exact thing; then you've got a few networks to dig through.)
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Previous

Return to Networking