Dual NIC Ports on Mobo's

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby JDH » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 am

Hello-

I understand most of the details regarding LAN setup, internet bandwidth vs. that of a LAN vs. USB, etc.

My original question was really just about a very limited issue. And that was.... why do modern motherboards now come with two NIC ports on-board instead of just one? And, by extension, is it possible that the two ports can act as a switch? So far the universal answer here has been that the switch guess was wrong, so for my purposes I suppose I will just forget about that 2nd port and happily just use only one <g>.

Thanks to all...

John
JDH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Having a second LAN port on the mobo eliminates the need for a device card, if a second port is needed. Most of the circuitry for one LAN port can be shared.. just a secondary controller chip.
Since the older COM ports are fading from use, a secondary LAN port is a worthy addition. Many mobos come with up to six rear USB ports.
You could conceivably use the secondary LAN port for sharing an Internet connection, but the system may be taxed for resources.
Some LAN device cards have up to four RJ-45 ports.. but you don't want to know the price of them!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby asassin' » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:27 am

Sorry, I misunderstood. Since you DO have a router, you may add a Gb NIC to the first and set up a separate network thru one of the other's. If you've no extra slot, a USB adaptor to the router is plenty fast for the www.

Today's OS's can make many uses of multiple NIC's (I've seen as many as four on board); switch, router, bridge, fat pipe or separate networks.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby JDH » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:08 am

Yes, as mentioned before, my router is part of a combo box supplied by the ISP. This one box is a DSL modem, router, and 4-port switch (but not gigabit, just 10/100). So my path is pretty clear -- buy a gigabit switch and that will do what I want once the new PC with the gigabit port(s) has been built.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
JDH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to Networking