Modem has pwned router - network setup problem

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby TriAngle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Contact your ISP and demand that they fix it for you, OR send you a modem that will do what you need, or change ISPs.
Or, buy your own modem.
I use Comcast. Instead of paying $5-7/month to rent their Motorola Surfboard Cable modem, I bought one just like it at newegg for $50 (included S/H) and installed it, and returned the rental to Comcast.
In 10 months, it has already paid for itself.
You must register the MAC Address on the new modem with your ISP so you can get online.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby filecore » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:06 am

TriAngle wrote:Contact your ISP and demand that they fix it for you

I tried that already; as already mentioned, they referred me back to the manufacturer, to no avail.

TriAngle wrote:OR send you a modem that will do what you need

I own the modem (not rent), so it's out of their hands - but I bought it off them, and it is the same model that they do rent, so they ought to know what to do.

TriAngle wrote:or change ISPs.

Love to, but can't. a) we're locked into the middle of a 12-month contract at the moment, and b) we were told that they were the only company who services our street (although we later discovered that to be incorrect, even though we also read the information on the site of a rival company whom we'd prefer). We'll be changing ASAP, but that won't be until next summer, which still doesn't really help my problem.

TriAngle wrote:Or, buy your own modem.

Already done. Got it from the ISP, it was a "subscribe this month and get modem for one euro" type special offer.

TriAngle wrote:Instead of paying $5-7/month to rent their Motorola

Slightly off-topic: what's the point of renting? Surely it's, as you Americans say, a 'no-brainer'? I mean, fine, if you're a student in a rented apartment who's only staying for six months and wants internet but doesn't want to own stupid technical equipment, then maybe renting is best. But for anyone staying in the same place for longer than that, renting makes absolutely no sense at all. I never was going to rent the modem, and I was just lucky they had the 'cheap modem' deal of the moment when I signed up. Surely the economics of this is obvious to everyone else too?

Either way, none of these suggestions - while good - are actually of any use in my current situation :-(
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby TriAngle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 am

Speak to a Supervisor, not a peon.
They should be more than glad to remedy your problem.
Remind them that you are 'paying' for this service, and that it is their obligation to provide you with this service.
Good luck.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
TriAngle
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby filecore » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:15 pm

At the end of the day, they sent me an equivalent-featured replacement modem: a four-port wireless router/modem (Netgear CG834WG). It does have the ability to disable its router functions, which I promptly did, and now my network is perfect and just the way I wanted it. Sadly there is no particular solution to the old modem, so anyone else having the same problem will have no luck when reading this thread. My advice in that instance is probably to do what I did and somehow change it for a different brand, since the Thomson seemed plagued with problems and pretty atrocious even when it was working fine. Thanks for all the help, everyone!
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Ah the infamous Thompson Speedtouch. I've finally come to grips with those. If they do not work first try they are binned.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Networking