Simple home networking issue

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Simple home networking issue

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm sure there's a simple fix that my tired brain can't figure out....

I have two computers hooked up through a Westell router/DSL modem. Up until a few days ago, networking was fine. The mom used iTunes, accessed my music, games, etc.

Now, she gets an "access denied" error message, all sharing folders are missing from her machine, but she can still see my rig in the network connections window.

On my rig, all shared folders in the network connections window have reverted to regular folder icons, indicating they're not shared anymore.

The only thing I've changed recently was to uninstall UPnP, as it interfered with my DAW software. Reinstalling UPnP didn't solve the problem.

I've run the network setup wizard, firewalls are configured properly, and notning on her machine has changed.

Any ideas?
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Oh, I should note I'm on XP Pro, she's on XP Home, if that makes a difference.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:30 pm

That can happen, when certain programs that 'share' Internet or Intranet connections is removed. Simply redo the sharing setup on the affected computers. The typical designation for a device would be C$, for example, for the "C:\" drive. Use the older common share of just "C" and so forth. Easily done from the "My Computer" icon on the desktop. Ensure that all permissible users are listed, if required. A password that is simple would be effective against outside snooping.

Oh, yes.. also ensure that all are in the same 'work' group.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Well, I've run the network setup again, on both machines, no luck. File and Printer sharing is enabled on both machines, and I can see her shared folder, and she can see mine, but that's it. No other shared folders work. I've redone the sharing on those folders, still no luck. There is no password enabled, but when I try to access my machine through Network Connections, I still get an access denied error. Doublechecked the firewall, it's configured properly.

I'm at a loss here. The few times I've had this happen just redoing the network setup fixed the problem, but not this time.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 am

running 3rd party firewall like norton or zonealarm perhaps?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Redo the Administrator rights for specific users, for full sharing and editing.
You and her would be the true Administrators, with open access to all files/folders and drives on both systems. Anyone else would need a password.
Also ensure that TCP/IP and NetBEUI are active binders.
If you redo the properties of sharing drives, assign a new share using the common ID of each.. instead of the default share name.. and allow the maximum users. Default share would be [C$]. Use instead [C].
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Tried all that, and still no go. It seems to be a problem on my end, as my shared folders are not "shared" anymoe. Hard to explain in a post, but they used to have shared folder icons, now they just have regular, non-shared icons. This is within the network connections panel. I may try a repair install of XP, in case something on my machine got borked.

Next idea? I'm at a loss here.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:05 am

Google for a free program called winsockfix .... It repairs any corrupt networking protocols.....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:56 pm

If the sharing 'hand' isn't noted for drives or folders, then sharing is not enabled from the network setup icon. "File and Printer Sharing" is the button. May have been reset to default, no sharing.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 am

Well, I tried winsockfix, and that didn't work, in fact it borked my registry. File and Printer sharing is enabled, my printer is visible on both machines, and the MS standard Shared Docs folders are visible, just not folders that I designate as shared. Sharing a whole drive is not an option, as the shared folders are spread out over six drives. I am completely at a loss here. Maybe it's time for a reload of XP, been running the same install for three years now........... :oops:
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Networking