Remote control of my pc's

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Remote control of my pc's

Postby DJmandrevski » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:17 pm

I want to control my pc, i have used realvnc, i hope it is a safe program .
I want to connect one of my pc's to control others computers in my network and from other pc's on the internet.
Also i want to conect my pc connected to a outside internet connection from mine and control my pc's in my Network.

How or what do i type to access these computers, int he ip field.

I am using a cheap laptop and because it is hard to move around with my knee operation and it is hard to walk to my study where my computers are, i have to use this laptop.
DJmandrevski
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby DJmandrevski » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:21 pm

I forgot to mention my network structure

My sister's pc
ISP -->linksys router --<
My wireless Tplink router -<2 pc's +1 wireless laptop

sorry for the bad diagram but it all left to right .
DJmandrevski
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby filecore » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:59 am

Or, to be slightly more useful: you have two main options.

1) VNC. I'd personally recommend UltraVNC - unlike most other VNC solutions, it has an encryption module available for it by default (although not necessarily enabled by default). Just run the server as a system service on whatever machines you want to be able to access, or else create a customised SingleClick module that your clients will run manually to allow you to connect - the benefit of this method is that it doesn't require a port being forwarded. If you're using other unencrypted VNC, anybody could sniff your passwords; you could always try tunneling through SSH (it's what I do; I also use SSH to start the VNC/FTP/HTTP servers whenever they're needed), but that's maybe a bit overly complex.

2) A far easier, more user-friendly, portable, and also encrypted method is another which I've also used: LogMeIn. Just install the app on the target computer and you can access it from any other computer with the appropriate browser plug-in installed. Highly recommended.

3) If you're confident about your network security and have done some reading, you could consider tunneling Microsoft's Remote Desktop from machine to machine, but given the amount of 'hackers' and skript kiddies targetting Microsoft products, that's probably best left as a last option.
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DJmandrevski » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:39 pm

i try give those other programs a go, i hope it is easier than vnc
DJmandrevski
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby pbailey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 pm

I have about 50 clients hooked up with http://www.logmein.com

I would give this a try over some of the others just for a simple way to work with other pc's in a LAN or WAN
The day you stop learning, is the day you die!

Paul
pbailey
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Networking