Weird wireless problem...FIXED!

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Weird wireless problem...FIXED!

Postby biguglyman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:55 am

Here's the setup as best as I can describe it. Older Compaq desktop computer wired to Linksys wrt54-g router running xp media center. Cable high speed internet. Two identical laptops running xp. About 6 months ago (sp3?) desktop began having boot issues. Mom decided to do a "last known good config" and got it running. Since then, only one laptop can access the internet. The other shows a great connection to the router and can see the desktop computer fine, just cannot connect to the internet. (tried IE, firefox, etc.) I went through and checked all the settings I could think of on the laptop and no joy. No firewalls running. Tried lsp fix which found no problems. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. The laptop in question gets taken to college and when connected there WILL access the internet. Will also access the internet when wired to the router, just not wirelessly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by biguglyman on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A veteran... is someone who... wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount “up to and including my life”. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." - Unknown
biguglyman
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:48 am

that compaq laptop is not an evo n1020v by any chance is it? What PCMCIA controller is in there?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm

The two obvious things I would check are that the TC\IP properties are set to find an IP address automatically and to run IPConfig in a Dos box to see if its seeing the internet gateway.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby biguglyman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Laptops sre both newer Toshibas. Desktop is the old Compaq.
"A veteran... is someone who... wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount “up to and including my life”. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." - Unknown
biguglyman
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby biguglyman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Went into the properties of the wireless card, properties of the tcp/ip settings then the advanced settings there. Found a listing under "default gateways" and removed it. Then checked the box under dns that says "append parent suffixes." OK'd out, repaired connection, and voila!...it works.
biguglyman
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Return to Networking