Laptop Dropping Connection

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop Dropping Connection

Postby Pette Broad » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:43 pm

I've got this Laptop with Vista SP1 on it that drops its connection every so often anywhere from 8 hours to 24 hours usually. My other Laptop with XP SP2 never drops its connection. The only way I can get the connection back is to reboot the laptop, if you double click on the network icon on the task bar it says no networks found. I disabled the onboard wireless and bought a USB wifi connector but that does exactly the same thing. I can get it to run a bit longer by enabling the onboard Wifi and when that loses its connection plug the USB stick in, gives me few more hours. The signal strength is excellent, its only 6 feet away from the router. The reliable laptop is about 10 feet away. Is this a Vista problem or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:58 am

I would suggest a Vista problem if you have tried two different wifi cards with the same result... I bet it is a cache or temp file/folder that fill and isn't deleted or renewed... Things I would try...

1) Disk cleanup, scan disk and defrag...
2) Clear your internet cache in IE...
3) do a windows update and update the wifi card driver inbuilt on the laptop if you can...
4) Disable the power control over the wifi card within windows...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Copper » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:01 am

Mr T wrote:I would suggest a Vista problem if you have tried two different wifi cards with the same result...

4) Disable the power control over the wifi card within windows...

:mb_iagree::
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks....like Copper I like the sound of #4 :) . Will get to it once the wife finishes her EBaying.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:30 am

That looks to have fixed it, running for 48 hours without dropping connection now. :)

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking