Sharing drive space over a wireless connection

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Sharing drive space over a wireless connection

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm

As some of you may know, I recently have upgraded my router. Instead of dropping off connection every 3 minutes, I currently am able to download over 1mbs and never drop off. This may not seem fast but since it is wireless, I am just dandy, not that I don't wish to improve upon it. :D

Since the router I purchased was a Linksys WRG54GL, it has the ability to be upgraded with Linux firmware. This allows for a good amount of tweaking. Currently I am using the Tomato 1.21 firmware. So far so good.

But the real reason I created this post is that I need more drive space. However with my low funds, anything is pretty much out of the question. But there is another computer on my network connected to my router. It thankfully has about 400gb of space I can temporarily use, until I upgrade my current HDD.

The dilemma is I don't have a grasp on how to connect the two rigs for Lan sharing capabilities. A wired connection is out of the question meaning I must use the router. I've looked around a tad, but haven't found anything yet.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:33 am

how is the other computer connected to the router? What OS is running on both computers?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:53 pm

The other comp is connected via a port on the back of the router. They're both running XP.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 pm

So in essence, run the networking wizard on both telling you have a home network of some sort and you want to share your stuff over windows networking, then select what parts you want to share and what name to give them as well as what access people can have.

I suppose you have your wireless security in order (WPA2-PSK and all that) if not, now is a good time to get that done first.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 am

On a side note, why don't you get a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive... Enclosures are cheap then you can add a hard drive of the size you want, or you can buy the prebuilt... Either way, they plug into the router or, more expensively are wireless... You can then access the drive from all PC's via the router...

(There are now even USB devices that have a network port, so you you can run a printer as well as storage over the network)...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:20 pm

evasive wrote:So in essence, run the networking wizard on both telling you have a home network of some sort and you want to share your stuff over windows networking, then select what parts you want to share and what name to give them as well as what access people can have.

I suppose you have your wireless security in order (WPA2-PSK and all that) if not, now is a good time to get that done first.

I don't believe I have that done yet. What exactly does a "WPA2-PSK" do? I believe it is an encrypted connection for the router but I do not know exactly how to set it up.

Edit: After looking through the network page for a few minutes, I came across the security section. From here I have a number of choices for:

Security
Encryption
Shared key
Group key renewal

The security drop menu alone gives me a number of choices:

Disabled (current)
WEP
WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Enterprise
WPA/ WPA2 Personal
WPA/ WPA2 Enterprise
Radius

Encryption drop menu:

TKIP
AES
TKIP/ AES

Shared Key renewal is blank and the Group Key Renewal is set to a default 3600 seconds.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Also I have read a little about the shared networked drives and decided they sound okay but I wonder if they will be as fast and secure as an internal hard drive. If I did decide to go with an external drive it would most likely be one that connects to a usb port but with that in mind wouldn't SATA be faster?
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby jimmy-j » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 pm

E-SATA would be the faster connection,yes but if speed is what you want then get your second computer connected to the router with a cat5/6 cable this also saves on the security issues and setup procedure for wireless. Unless you have a laptop which you want to use anywhere in the house then hard wireing the network is the way to go.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Networking