Small problem after router reboot

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Small problem after router reboot

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:22 pm

A Power Outage a few days ago rebooted my router and now I'm unable to get to a number of my favorite sites (about 20%) using IE, Firefox or Google Chrome. However, I can reach all sites using AOL software :?, but this is not really convenient. The router is I think a rebadged Texas Instruments that came without a manual and there are hundreds of settings to tweak, many, of which I don't understand. Any ideas what the problem could be and which settings are the most important??

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Ge FOrce 543 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:49 pm

I've had router problems myself, and never really got them solved. Although mine are mostly due to having a wireless router with bad connectivity. I would suggest a router reset if you don't have anything to precious on there as far as firmware and settings go. Maybe try directly going through the modem to see if you can get to the sites. If you can't get to them that way either, it's not likely a router problem. Narrow down the issues to make it easier to understand whats wrong.
Ge FOrce 543
BANNED!

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:38 pm

O.K, Tried that. Router reset didn't fix it, next step is to try my old Netgear router.

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:09 am

What name is on the router?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:59 pm

check what DNS forwarders it is using and if they still are in use at your ISP. Do an
ipconfig /flushdns
on your problem machine and see if that helps.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Mr T wrote:What name is on the router?

Other than identifying it as an 11G Wireless ASDL2+ Router there's nothing. There's a serial number underneath but I've Googled every possible combination of that number and come up with nothing.SiSandra identifies it as a Texas Instruments router but I'm sure its getting that information from the onboard chip(s). The router was supplied to me by my previous ISP namely RedTen who went bust although it does have specific settings for my present provider AOL which worked well until the power outage. Using AOL 9.0, I can access pretty well everything but using IE, Firefox, etc I'm getting timeouts on sites such as EOC Folding Stats, Wales Online, Asus, etc. All my computers are in the same boat so I know it isn't a setting on IE that's wrong. Very Strange :?

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 pm

evasive wrote:check what DNS forwarders it is using and if they still are in use at your ISP. Do an
ipconfig /flushdns
on your problem machine and see if that helps.

All machines are having the same problem unfortunately.....I've got a couple of ideas though :)

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:30 am

it's possible the aol client is using a seperate set of AOL DNS server addresses and IE/firefox are using the router as dns server. if the dns forwarder addresses at your ISP have changed and the old ones have been decommited it's possible to see behaviour like this. Been there, done that.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:26 am

Yeah, that sounds like what's happened.

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby tripad » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 pm

i would say its not a router prob.....

Routers usually save all their settings and even a simple reboot wont affect it !

I would say its a DNS problem...... Try shifting to OPENDns and check if your sites work!
tripad
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Networking