Two networks on one router

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Finally found a [sort of] solution in the FAQs on the Tplink website. The user guide is very unclear, but the FAQ made me realise that I needed to use the beasty as a repeater not as an access panel.
And I still don't understand. And I still don't think it's boosting the signal as much as I was led to believe it would. And I hate wireless networks. And I'm going to bed. :(

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:55 am

I've been fighting a linksys wireless router + wireless repeater. Wasn't a pretty sight but got it working in the end.

What exact hardware is there now in the network, e.g. modem/router/wireless stuff?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:18 pm

The modem router is a Siemens - came with the Tiscali package [don't know model 'cos I'm not there].
Access thing set as a repeater is a TPlink WA601G. Also have a booster arial[sp?] that goes into it [can't put it into the router as the arial doesn't come off].
I still don't know whether the repeater is supposed to be next to the router, next to the target computers, or somewhere in between. At the mo it's set up on the PA computer, which is about 30 yards away from the router - one stone wall in between. Without the repeater, I get 1 bar on the wireless signal on my laptop. With it, I might get 2 if I'm lucky, but the signal tends to drop off. I get absolutely nothing up in the Youth Loft, which is about the same distance away again.
Is the channel on the repeater supposed to change every couple of seconds? 'Cos it does, if I have the status screen up.
The spec of the WA601G says it can boost the signal to ~800 yards - and it's definitely not doing that. I also tried it on my network at home, and the same thing happened. I can pick up a signal on my laptop at the church gates from home [about 100 yards away,] and I only got about an extra ten feet with the repeater + arial in the circuit.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Previous

Return to Networking