Two networks on one router

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Two networks on one router

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Can I do this? We're starting an IT suite at church, and the easiest way of doing it is to go wireless from the vicarage broadband... but obviously the Vic doesn't want random teenagers accessing his work computer...
So, if his network is the standard MSHOME and I call the other one something else - will that work??
TIA

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 am

SHould do, I have two on my system, MSHOME for one and WORKGROUP for the other(how original) :lol:
by the way that's not two networks but two workgoups on the same network, Which is all you need to seperate the vicars system from the other workgroup.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for that.
What do you call the dingus that boosts the wireless signal? I'm going to need something at the vicarage side of the youth loft to 'catch' the signal and then transfer it [all wirelessly, of course] to the computers at the other side of the room [has to be that way because of the room layout].

Edit;
Is it something like this?

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:46 am

Yes but you ony need a repeater to boost the signal, give me a mo and I'll have a look.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:03 pm

jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Isn't that pretty much the same thing as the one I found??

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Yes but for less and brand new.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am

OK, now I'm REALLY confused...

I've actually ended up with a WA610G which I assume is pretty much the same thing [my eyesight leaves a lot to be desired even with glasses...], and the instructions are not making a lot of sense at the mo.
Firstly, I understood that the AP went in the same room as the wireless network, but the instructions say to plug it into the router.
Fair enough - I can go with that.

However - first it says to plug the router into the PC and the AP into the router - then a couple of lines later it says to plug the AP into the PC. Does this mean I have to have two lan cards in the PC - because the router has to be plugged into the PC for the internet to work? Also, as there's only one socket on the back of the AP, how the blazes do I connect it to the router and the PC at the same time? And to cap it all - the IP address of the AP is the same as the router - which is promptly going to cause a conflict on my [currently] beautifully stable network!!!
[Decided, given the apparent range of the brute, that I'd run it off my network rather than the vic's = I'm only an extra 50 yards or so away].

So... what am I missing????

Be really grateful if someone can demystify me asap, as I was planning on getting it all set up tomorrow!
TIA

user guide

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:03 pm

If you have a wireless card in the PC you don't need to plug it in, it should pick up the signal, Maybe they mean you hard wire it to start with just to get the addresses in the correct order but I would not think so, The whole idea of the wireless AP is so you don't need wires trailing everywhere, set it up at a point where both the router and the pc will connect to it.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ~PJ~ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:56 am

Absolutely no joy whatsoever.
I had to hardwire the AP for starters into another computer altogether to change the IP address - because as it was the same as the router I couldn't get into it.
And then it all got silly. When I changed the settings to the same as the router modem in the office [ie. SSID and key], not only did it not boost the signal upstairs but I couldn't connect the office computer wirelessly either.
Please - could someone who actually UNDERSTANDS these machines from hell talk me through it??
TIA

Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to Networking