How to connect to a printer without wires

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How to connect to a printer without wires

Postby Jbagger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:47 am

My workstation does not have the space to accommodate a printer. Right now I have the printer in another room and when I need to print, I walk my laptop to the room, hook up the printer to the laptop and print. Needless to say this is a pain.

Is there anyway I can connect to this printer through some sort of wireless connection? I was thinking there must be a device that can hook up to the USB on the printer that can receive wireless signals from my laptop. Does such a method exist? Thank you!
Jbagger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ajrox » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:08 am

well, they do make wireless print servers, however, if you are connected to the network then i think you can connect to the printer. goto a computer that is connected to the printer and then share the printer from that computer. then go to your laptop and try this:
1) go to the run prompt and type \\servername were servername is the name of the computer you shared the printer on.
2) a little window will appear and one of the things in there wil be the printer you shared. right click the printer in the little window and choose connect.
3) open the printer folder on your computer ans see if the printer mapped. if it did, make it the default printer and print something.

you might also connect to the printer if it is located on the network. that takes a bit more understanding than just sharing a printer on another computer and then connecting to it.

you could also go to your local PC shop and explain what you need and they will hook you up with a wireless print server. be aware that it might take up the USB port on the printer. the port might be connected to someones computer who doesn't have wireless....

good luck
AJ
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Jbagger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply ajrox.

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer in the house that is hard wired to the printer nor am I on a network.
Jbagger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby jronald » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:11 pm

My son carries in his childhood, the wonders I have sought my lifetime to find, and squandered fortunes to posses
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Copper » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:08 pm

you will need a wireless router and a wireless print server
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Jbagger » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks guys. I will give the print server thing a try.
Jbagger
Initiate
Initiate

Postby zooofer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Whats up? I just got a bluetooth printer at work a few weeks ago. It works great and it only took me 6 hrs to make it work. It was an hp, but I don't remember the mod#. I know this is useless info, but I couldn't help myself. Thanks.
zooofer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 pm

If you get back at work, post the model # it might help other people trying to do similar stuff...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 am

Wireless RF signals akin to Bluetooth or cell phone use would be the most practical. There also are wireless data/audio adapters that use the wiring in the building. But most printers need to 'talk back' to the computer, for data signals. A one-way link would not be useful. There are many types of home security systems that are wireless.. using the home wiring scheme. One of those types may also work. Check into wireless USB.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby jooney » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 pm

What is the best printer for a college student? I bought an HP Officejet Pro L7780 but i dont know if the price on the ink cartridges would be too high? I need an all in one printer that has cheap ink but the price on the actual printer doesnt matter. Please help me find a printer or should i keep the one that i bought.
Last edited by jooney on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jooney
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Networking