using a static ip address with a bridged network connection

Moderator: The Mod Squad

using a static ip address with a bridged network connection

Postby cwl157 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:11 pm

So my main goal is to create a test network with virtual machines. I am using virtual box for the virtual machines. In order to get the server to recognize the client i set it up to use virtual network adaptors 1 for the server and 1 for the client. Then i create a 3 connection bridge with the host connection and both virtual machines. This works perfect if i have it set to get the ip address from the dhcp. However, for my virtual machine that is a server i want to set a static ip address but when i do the connection no longer works it says limited or no connectivity. I dont know much about bridged network connections but i dont think the virtual machines cause a problem at all. Is there a general problem with having static ip's as part of a bridged network connection?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:36 am

are you using the same network address mask and default gateway settings?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:47 am

what is a network mask and i am using the same default gateway as the physical machines connected to the router. The more i look at it it might just be because the network connection on my phyical machine that is part of the bridge is wireless and i read that wireless connections dont work as well with network bridges as wired ones do so it could be inconsistent because of that maybe?
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 am

open command prompt and type

ipconfig
<Enter>

on both your direct machines and the "problem machine", compare the result. The address needs to be different, the network mask and gateway need to be the same. The DNS server entries need also be the same, do a

ipconfig /all
<Enter>

to see that information
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby cwl157 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:01 pm

everything is right except for the dns but the windows server 2008 i have as a dns for the virtual network i have so i dont know if that effects it or not.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cwl157 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

ok i took out the wireless connection of the host from the bridged connection so now the bridge just has the 2 virtual network interface connections and it seems to be a nice little contained network. There is no internet access but thats ok. I'm going to try it with a wired connection when i can but that wont happen for a couple weeks.
cwl157
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Networking