Are my Internet Speeds good for my plan?

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Help improving my WiFi signal.

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 am

The other thing is wifi far from being perfect still has hardware and software compatibility issues where different wifi cards are very poor compared to others. I would still try it without the access point and see what happens. I try and keep everything wired as wifi is still hit and miss and if it goes down, it is a lot harder to pinpoint the issue than on a wired network.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:55 am

My Cable Modem plugs into my Linksys BEFSX41 Wired Router. I did have ethernet cables to my PC, Smart HDTV, TP Link Powerline, and W.A.P.

But the W.A.P. signal wasn't staying consistent. I chatted with a TP Link rep. They told me that I could connect the W.A.P. on the receiving end of the TP Link Powerline.
It does work but the signal still isn't staying consistent. :(

The TP Link Powerline is working, because both my ROKU & AFTV are working.

What do I need to do? Networking isn't my strongest subject. lol But I'm learning as I go.

Is it the cables, W.A.P., or something else?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 am

What other devices nearby are using the WIFI signal band? 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are the primary bands, and shared by remote controls, data links, portable computers, smart phones and some cell phones . The stronger signal can override the desired signal at times.. causing link loss or poor communications. Even a microwave oven nearby or a microwave tower miles away can affect your signal clarity. Some devices transmit a "dirty" signal.
And reflective metal surfaces can cause echos or distorted data.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=134478
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am

To me, it sounds more like a problem with the tablet. If all these other devices are working well on the network, and only a single one is struggling...the most likely problem is the single device. Do you have a phone that does the same thing? Can the tablet work without issue at other wifi locations (coffee shop, friends' place, restaurant...)? Is it up to date? Is a factory reset an option to simply start over with the tablet's configuration/updates/etc.?

Do you have the tablet set to only connect to your network (remove all other network configurations off it)? Do you have it set to get a static IP from the router, or is it dynamic? Have you tried checking/changing the IP lease times within the WAP? You can download some free "signal analyzer" apps for your tablet which will show the amount of networks/noise/etc. in your area - and some have diagnostic capabilities (most likely not free).

-R
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

Karlsweldt wrote:What other devices nearby are using the WIFI signal band? 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are the primary bands, and shared by remote controls, data links, portable computers, smart phones and some cell phones . The stronger signal can override the desired signal at times.. causing link loss or poor communications. Even a microwave oven nearby or a microwave tower miles away can affect your signal clarity. Some devices transmit a "dirty" signal.
And reflective metal surfaces can cause echos or distorted data.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti ... Num=134478

The only things that need the W.A.P. signal are my Tablet & Laptop. Both are used in the same room as the W.A.P. A cheap Trac cellphone is also recharged in the same room along with a cordless landline house phone.
There is a microwave in the next room.

Roach412 wrote:To me, it sounds more like a problem with the tablet. If all these other devices are working well on the network, and only a single one is struggling...the most likely problem is the single device. Do you have a phone that does the same thing? Can the tablet work without issue at other wifi locations (coffee shop, friends' place, restaurant...)? Is it up to date? Is a factory reset an option to simply start over with the tablet's configuration/updates/etc.?

Do you have the tablet set to only connect to your network (remove all other network configurations off it)? Do you have it set to get a static IP from the router, or is it dynamic? Have you tried checking/changing the IP lease times within the WAP? You can download some free "signal analyzer" apps for your tablet which will show the amount of networks/noise/etc. in your area - and some have diagnostic capabilities (most likely not free).

-R

The only things I use with the W.A.P. are the Tablet & Laptop. I do not have a regular cellphone. I don't use the tablet or Laptop at other wifi locations. The Laptop should be up to date. But I don't know if the Tablet is, or even how to do it.

If I did do a factory reset, would that fix the connection issues?

I only have it set to use the Wifi signal from my network. I'm not sure if the IP is Static or Dynamic. How would I change the IP lease times within the WAP?

This Tablet is a cheap Polaroid PMID921X Android. Downloading apps is a real project, if possible.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:57 am

The W.A.P. keeps flashing the white Linksys button. While others rotate red, yellow, and green.

I don't know what to do.

Do you think I may need a new W.A.P. ? If so what brand/model(s) should I consider? I would like to stick with my current Wired router Linksys BEFSX41.

Or do you think I should replace my router as well? What Wired brand/model(s) should I consider?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:51 am

Have you checked with the Linksys site as to causes/solutions?
That blinking light may indicate corrupt firmware. Maybe easy to resolve.
https://www.linksys.com/pl/support-arti ... Num=133192
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:09 am

Would that "fix" also apply to the W.A.P. ? My router seems to be working fine. I'm currently using my PC wired to it right now.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I contacted Linksys about my issue. But they pushed for a new router, because mine is old.
A couple options: cascade another router or range extender

So I could replace my Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with this: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WAP300N/
Or
I could replace both my Linksys Wired Router (BEFSX41) & Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with this: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE9000/

What are the opinions of these? Which would be easier to set up?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

****Extra****

Another new piece to add to this puzzle. I recently dropped my Cable service in favor of just Internet. I decided to increase me speed from: TWC Standard 15/1 to Spectrum Internet 100/10
But so far I haven't seen anything like that AFAIK.

Ubee Modem
Model: DDM3521
https://www.timewarnercable.com/content ... _Modem.pdf
Approved for Internet plans with download speeds of up to 100Mbps.

I've done a few different speed tests for comparisons. Tried modem reboots, etc. Here are my results.

01/26/18

https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html
12:04 AM
DL 3.52 Mbps
UL 6.44 Mbps

12:05 AM
DL 7.80 Mbps
UL 7.47 Mbps

12:06 AM
DL 7.57 Mbps
UL 7.04 Mbps

After soft Modem reboot:

12:11 AM
DL 5.40 Mbps
UL 7.32 Mbps

12:13 AM
DL 6.77 Mbps
UL 6.13 Mbps

12:15 AM
DL 5.45 Mbps
UL 6.70 Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net
12:40 AM
DL 5.03 Mbps
UL 4.26 Mbps

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/
12:42 AM
DL 9.79 Mbps
UL 8.54 Mbps

http://www.centurylink.com/home/help/in ... -test.html
12:44 AM
DL 9.1 Mbps
UL 7.7 Mbps

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
12:45 AM
DL 10.83 Mbps
UL 10.39 Mbps

The best I seen was yesterday around 4:30 PM something like DL 14 Mbps UL 15 Mbps

Am I missing something, or are those speeds good? They are double than what I was getting before. But they don't seem right.

I plan to stream full time so I want them to be correct. I'm scheduled for a tech visit, but can I do anything on my end?

So here is where I stand:

Spectrum Internet 100/10 (Speeds don't seem fast enough)
Tablet & Laptop not holding Wireless Signal from Linksys W.A.P.

What should I do? Do I completely reinstall Wired Router & Linksys W.A.P.? If so will I need to reset my TP Link Powerline set?
Would a factory reset fix the WiFi issue?

Would a Split effect the Modem speeds? My coax Cable comes in through the wall outlet to a split. One coax goes to my Cable Modem. The other "did" go to
my Cable box. Now it has been removed. Could that be part of the problem? If I remove the split and run the coax straight to the Cable Modem, would it improve?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 am

I changed to Spectrum Internet (100Mbps)

Currently I use the supplied Ubee Modem Model: DDM3521.

I replaced both my old Linksys Wired Router (BEFSX41) & Linksys W.A.P. (WAP54G) with a Linksys MAX-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigbit Router Model# EA7500

The good news: My laptop & tablet connection issues are gone. :)

I just ran a few speed tests.

1/28/18
Speedtest.net 3:05AM
DL 71.22 Mbps
UL 11.77 Mbps

Xfinity Speedtest 3:06AM
DL 72.93 Mbps
UL 12.17 Mbps

AT&T Speedtest 3:07AM
DL 72.93 Mbps
UL 12.17 Mbps

Verizon Speedtest 3:08AM
DL 67.27 Mbps
UL 12.22 Mbps

Centurylink Speedtest 3:10AM
DL 68.0 Mbps
UL 11.9 Mbps

Spectrum Speedtest 3:16AM
DL 70.06 Mbps
UL 11.98 Mbps

How do my results look? Should I be getting better results than this? Or am I getting good speeds for my plan?

Would a tech visit improve on this?

I did also pick a ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.
Should I use this instead, or are me speeds fine?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: Are my Internet Speeds good for my plan?

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 am

Speed test results look decent, but maximum data speeds can be affected by complexity of file structure, and packet makeup. Then too, number of users on line.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Networking