COMPLETED first WU

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

m3tw0
Green Belt
Green Belt

COMPLETED first WU

Post by m3tw0 »

Yay.....

You guys are right this is addicting.. not sure why but it is.

My first WU was a nice 70.9 pointer
and the second one is on its way.

a few observations in my limited experience using this application.....

1. The graphical interface while "pretty" (not in my opinion) shows a nice percentage graph, but displaying the 3D protein is a bit much for my liking. The Pause feature is nice too but from my understanding if the computer crashed without the pause being selected then you can possibly lose your work.

2. So... since my first WU has been completed I have decided to switch to the console version. like the download page says its a No-Nonsense version and gives as much information about what is going on as the graphical version, sans the graph.

3. One thing that was annoying me to no end is that the graphical version was causing anomolies in my info popup boxes that show when you hover over a tray item or active application in the tool bar. Specifically black bars were showing up making the boxes longer then they should be.

At first I thought maybe it was the Electron Microscope application causing this, but have since confirmed otherwise. After switching to the console version the anomolies have thankfully disapeared.

4. The Electron Microscope application (addon) works with both the graphical and the console version of [email protected] but it enhances the console version by giving you the option of hiding the Console window leaving my toolbar uncluttered. If I want it back I just specify to un-hide the window when exiting the Electron Microscope.

5. And please correct me if I'm wrong... The Console version auto saves its progress every 15 min. (default) so if the computer crashed and or rebooted the folding WU will continue from the last saved state, so no Pausing is neccessary.

Well thats enough observation for now -- hopefully I havent spouted already known information.

oh one question can I now use the official signature ;) ?????

m3tw0
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: COMPLETED first WU

Post by Wookie8662 »

m3tw0 (me2) wrote:
5. And please correct me if I'm wrong... The Console version auto saves its progress every 15 min. (default) so if the computer crashed and or rebooted the folding WU will continue from the last saved state, so no Pausing is neccessary.

Well thats enough observation for now -- hopefully I havent spouted already known information.

oh one question can I now use the official signature ;) ?????

m3tw0
It will pickup where it left off after a crash, as long as the WU data file is still intact.

AND

Yes, you dont need any specific amount of work completed to use the sig file.
[img]http://www.motherboards.org/sig/sig10/33258/Wookie8662/sig.jpg[/img]
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by len444 »

welcome to the team!

peruse the reference guide in my sig for some ideas... :wink:
oh one question can I now use the official signature
sure, but i'm not sure how official it is :lol:

i'd say that it's my view that what you put in your sig is up to you.

some have wookie's site, some have mine, some have outdated links w/ some going back to the first site, and some w/ the second, others w/ stats, ect... vive le difference (and vive le spaced out w/ the dead links :) )!

my site has previously played second fiddle to the other two, and has become official when the second site webmaster just upped, and left without any mention of intent. so things are in flux, and whatever i suppose- as long as it's related to the team, and is constructive.... :)
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by son0rous »

viewtopic.php?t=30095&start=30
pick which one you want and modify the link as nessessary

the way that the graphical version messes up the popup boxes is a known bug.
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by Ladd »

Welcome to the team!!! Thanks for joining up!
[url=http://www.frontiernet.net/~lenb/team33258.html][u] [b][size=100][color=blue]Click here to Help humanity! Please join the Motherboards.org Folding Team (33258)[/color][/size][/b] [/u][/url]
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by redeye53 »

Welcome! :D Besides the good for humanity it sure is a fun diversion with a bonus of letting you know just how stable your pc really is :lol:
[img]http://www.motherboards.org/sig/sig4/33258/redeye53/sig.jpg[/img]
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

We're just one big happy family m3tw0 (me2).
Feels nice doesn't it?
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/joshvee2/AlienSig.jpg[/img]
m3tw0
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by m3tw0 »

Len444 wrote:welcome to the team!

peruse the reference guide in my sig for some ideas... :wink:

sure, but i'm not sure how official it is :lol:

i'd say that it's my view that what you put in your sig is up to you.
ok thanks for the example signatures

here is a mod of yours using your link

Code: Select all

[url=frontiernet.net/~lenb/team33258][u][b][size=16][color=blue]Help Humanity
[/color][color=green]Join Motherboards.org Folding Team 33258![/color][/size][/b][/u][/url] 
[url=vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=33258]stats[/url] 
notice I shortened your url by dropping the http://www since 90% of browsers will follow the link correctly without it.

it gave me some room so no abreviations were needed

THANKS!!! Len444

and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
FOLD!
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by don'tknowmuch »

Thanks for finally coming to your senses and signing up :P . Good to see your meeting the group. They're a great bunch here.
To the rest of you guys, me3tw0 is quite the comp. guru in his own right, he will definately add to these forums, I'm glad he finally joined :D
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: COMPLETED first WU

Post by CDBurner »

m3tw0 (me2) wrote:3. One thing that was annoying me to no end is that the graphical version was causing anomolies in my info popup boxes that show when you hover over a tray item or active application in the tool bar. Specifically black bars were showing up making the boxes longer then they should be.
Interesting; I've been having this problem (I run the graphical version), but I never knew that [email protected] was causing it. I hope they fix the problem soon.

BTW, thanks for joining the team! :D
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/