Please Read, Important info for GeForce or SiS Users

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Please Read, Important info for GeForce or SiS Users

Post by Pette Broad »

If you are using one of these cards, please check that the File RSCMPT.EXE is not being launched on Startup. This file is some sort of Emulator that fools the system into thinking that a larger amount of graphics memory is installed in your system. It also apparently Hogs any spare cycles that your CPU has, thus slowing down Folding.

You can read about it here.

>>Well, well, well. What have NVidia either done, or allowed to happen ?! There is absolutely nothing positive we can say about this task. It goes like this : you purchase an NVidia chipset card and install the drivers – you have Windows 2000. Let’s say the card is a 64Mb graphics card. If you install the NVidia drivers from the NVidia site, you find that your card gets recognised as only a 32Mb card. If you then decide to install the drivers from the CD that came with the card, you find that your card gets recognised successfully but there is a new task running, RSCMPT, which gobbles up CPU resources, up to 99% sometimes. So, to summarise : without RSCMPT your card gets recognised at boot-up as the card you bought, a 64Mb card, but when you are in Windows it gets recognised as only half that, 32Mb. On the other hand, with RSCMPT Windows recognises your card properly but your PC slows down to a crawl.

Recommendation :
Something is not right, whether with Windows 2000, or the NVidia chipset under Windows 2000, or the implementation of the NVidia chipset by 3rd party graphics cards manufacturers. One thing for sure, something is definitely not right with RSCMPT. At the time of writing, 29-Dec-2002, a search for RSCMPT on the NVidia site yields nothing, and that is not right as, with so many users experiencing difficulties, they must know about the problem (even if it has nothing to do with them, ie. it is the fault of 3rd party manufacturers, they should be issuing a statement about it). In our view, if you have just bought the card and you experience this problem, return it and get a different one – be practical, effectively. Note that this problem has also been observed on Windows 98 PCs.<<

Some SiS cards like the one I have in my "Slow Duron" also install this file

Pete
[img]http://tinyurl.com/3x7anjn/.gif[/img]
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

That's interesting; I think NVidia and SiS need to do something about that. 8O

I have a GeForce FX5200 card (made by Leadtek) in one of my WinXP computers (SP2-RC1). I installed the drivers from NVidia's web site, not the ones that came on the CD with the card. RSCMPT.EXE isn't installed on the computer, and the card's 128MB of RAM seems to be recognized properly.

Maybe this issue only affects some NVidia cards and not others?
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

Verrry interesting!! Will have to check if that is the reason I had to 'junk' two mobos in my web access machine, running an nVidia TNT 32 Mb AGP card! Had frequent lockups and system hangs. Thanks for the tip! Could also have been the 'res changer' program that is loaded in start-up. That is now gone, and system seems to be more stable. Can still call it from the Q-launch program lineup.
peta_byte
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by peta_byte »

thanks Pette.. I'll keep that one stored away in the cobwebs of my mind.
Need a free host ? [url=http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33279]click here[/url]
Need a free small host for hotlinking sigs into a forum ? [url=http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33865]click here[/url]
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

Well running folding with winXP pro on my NF7-S and SiS Xabre400 VGA, pretty much flawlessly (1 reboot in 10 days), compared to my P4 3 GHz rig, needed a reboot nearly every morning (IC7 board, ATI 9800 A-i-W, 2Gb DDR400 elixir...)... :cry:

The XP3000 caught up with the P4 and seems pretty much on par with it , folding wise....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Wookie8662
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by Wookie8662 »

I have an nVidia MX-200 32MB card here, and I dont remember if I installed any video drivers or not. But that file does not exist on the system.

Darn it. I was hoping I was gonna get more folding power. :wink:
[img]http://www.motherboards.org/sig/sig10/33258/Wookie8662/sig.jpg[/img]
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Post by Toby B. »

I have an Nvidia GeForce2 MX400 on my main folding machine. Will have to check to see if the file exists..............
profofpcs
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by profofpcs »

i have the intergrated SIS graphics on my Abit VA-10 and not there, a TNT2 mach 64 and its not there and my TI4200 and it isnt there either. guess im lucky.
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html][img]http://server3.uploadit.org/files/cacrusn-waynestagbyJana.jpg[/img][/url]

depression is just anger without the enthusiasm
anger is just danger without the "d"
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Post by Toby B. »

turns out that file is non-existant on mine.....
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by inteljunky »

Mr T wrote:Well running folding with winXP pro on my NF7-S and SiS Xabre400 VGA, pretty much flawlessly (1 reboot in 10 days), compared to my P4 3 GHz rig, needed a reboot nearly every morning (IC7 board, ATI 9800 A-i-W, 2Gb DDR400 elixir...)... :cry:

The XP3000 caught up with the P4 and seems pretty much on par with it , folding wise....
funny... that my P4 was up for 25 days without a reset before I had to shutdown to format a friends harddrive. :?

That file seems to be a Win 2K thing. probably the best advice for it is change the OS. or maybe is there some service pack that is not there???
Folding folding folding keep them procs a folding.......

P4 2.53 ghz @ 2.86