Transferring to XP

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Transferring to XP

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:54 pm

I've been trying all day to speed up the output of a P3 850, with only very small success I'm sorry to say. By removing a couple of Animated Tray Bar icons and changing to a non animated mouse cursor, I've managed to reduce the frame time from 21mins to 20mins 20 seconds. But surely, I would have thought a P3 at 850 would have least matched a Duron 950 which takes about 10mins 40 secs per frame. I'm running under WinME, but its a dual boot system with WinXP. is it possible to transfer it over to XP, how would I go about it? Better still would be a way of getting it run properly under WinME :roll:

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby dharbert » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:05 pm

ME is arguably the worst OS ever. Why not just wipe out the computer and install only XP?

Just set the desktop to "classic" and take out all of the unnecessary visual stuff and background tasks and it should run just fine.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:44 pm

Hmm, I thought of that too :) The thing that's stopping me is the sheer volume of stuff I'd have to reinstall, the thought of it makes me shudder :)
I know ME isn't as good as XP, probably the understatement of the year, but the system is extremely stable, and everything ...............just works. If it wasn't for the reactivation process (I think I used all of mine up) I'd just remove the Hard drives and make another computer around them. If I can't find a workaround I'll shift the unit elswhere and bring another Duron out of storage 8) In fact that sounds like a much better option.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:34 pm

Grafted in the registry file and ran from XP, very little difference, maybe 30 seconds per frame. Will probably move and replace it.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby len444 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:32 am

tweaking your bios might help out. 1 minute reduction can mean 100minutes removed from a gromacs wu, and 400minutes from a 400 frame tinker wu. but some wu's are slow for whatever reason. hope that you're comparing same exact wu's between the systems, as performance can vary.

make a copy of the work folder, and the queue.dat file, then remove everything in the folder except for the *.dat files. now copy and past this work folder, and queue.dat file to a floppy disk, and you have the esential wu that could be placed on any comp. transfer it over to the duron comp and try running it there. see the guide in my sig for doing a commandline install to your desktop. basically create a folder/ "directory", label it FAH1, download a copy of the commandline version to that folder, add the work folder, and queue.dat from floppy to it, right click the folding executable, and create a short cut, right click the shortcut, select properties, and add flags to the target. shift the shortcut to the desktop, double click it, add config info, and it'll start folding the work unit. this should then give you an idea of the frame rate that the duron.950 gets for that specific wu. it'll also tell you if you need to start cleaning up the pIII system to get it folding faster.

a variation is to copy the downloaded commandline executable (before the config is done), and copy the folding core to the floppy as well. then you can move the floppy from comp to comp, and get some benchmarking stats.

just a heads up- once a wu is handed in, any duplicate wu's handed in will have 0 value.

because the commandline version can be run w/ o installing to the registry, it is a less invasive approach.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:20 am

I think I've tweaked the Bios to death over the past few days :) However you have a good point about the different work rates I'd not considered that. I'll go through the steps you suggested, see if this is just a slow WU.

Thanks,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team