Good new, and a question

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:45 pm

try the -forceSSE flag w/ the amd cpu's. they made some changes so that -forceasm = 3dnow!+, and -forceSSE = sse. they must have upgraded all the folding cores so this will be in effect from now on.

also pretty sure that -forceasm will still get sse optimizations w/ pentiumIII, and p4's, though i'm not 100% certain.

:arrow: upgrade your athlon xp based graphical version (3.24 graphical) systems to the latest v4.00pre2 beta graphical version (link at bottom of downloads page). the 3.24 is a released version, so it comes w/ an installer, and the beta is just the executable. you have to replace the older executable w/ the v4.00pre2 executable, and rename the new the same as the old one (winfah.exe i believe- what ever it's labeled as). read the changelog at the beta downloads page to see what's new. hope this works seemlessly, and trouble free.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Pette Broad » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:22 pm

O.K, I'll try that and the new beta.

Cheers,

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby dharbert » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:35 pm

Thats cause Amd processors use 3DNow and Intel processors use SSE.

Actually, AMD processors have 3DNow! and SSE, whereas Intel processors only have SSE.

AMD has also added 52 new instructions to their SIMD set, which is now referred to as 3DNow! Professional. In terms of the Athlon XP, this allows it to be SSE-compatible, while not losing any of the enhanced 3DNow! capability, and puts AMD on equal SSE ground with competitive Intel processors. The only issues are finding out exactly how fast an SSE performer the Athlon XP really is, as well as recognizing that the Pentium 4 supports the newer SSE2 extensions.

It would be nice if F@H was coded to take advantage of the P4's SSE2 instructions.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Ladd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:54 pm

dharbert wrote:
Actually, AMD processors have 3DNow! and SSE, whereas Intel processors only have SSE.

The new Athlon XP's do, but the older ones don't.
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dharbert » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:37 pm

Yes, that's true. I guess I should have stated that also. Not everyone is folding using the newest AMD's. :oops:
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Ladd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:01 pm

Ya, I shoulda said that when I said about Amd using 3DNow! and Intel using SSE. Between the two of us we got it down. :)
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:05 pm

it's a bit confusing, but if i have it correct, the older athlon cpu's don't but all the athlon xp cpu's do- though there was a post at fah forums regarding an athlon xp mobile 1500+ not having sse- which is supposed to be true for the earliest mobile xp cpu's.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Ladd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:02 pm

You are correct, the first AMD cpu's to support SSE were the Athalon XP's. What I meant was that the older AMD processors did not. They now have the benefits of both 3DNow!+ and SSE. I have no idea about the mobile versions though.
Ladd
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team