Server connection question

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Server connection question

Postby dharbert » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:35 am

Is there any way that I can get the cosole version to connect to the same server all the time? Let's say that I always want to get work units from 171.64.122.123 Can I set it up to do that?
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:52 pm

If you've got a firewall, i'm sure you could try to block transmission to them, but that would be counterproductive...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: Server connection question

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:46 pm

dharbert wrote:Is there any way that I can get the cosole version to connect to the same server all the time? Let's say that I always want to get work units from 171.64.122.123 Can I set it up to do that?

some people have performed some kind of code mods, and were able to lock into a certain server, as well as a certain high point fast crunchable wu. stanford is not too happy about this. there was some commentary about mixing up the wu concentrations to help deter this kind of behavior. it can be done, but your on your own. setting flags will narrow down what servers you get assigned to, and it's an ok thing to do. also setting fah wu pref under "change advanced options" will keep you from getting GAH/ genome wu's. so there are some configuration adjustments that can be done, and still be "legal".
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby dharbert » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:49 pm

Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to cheat. I just hate getting 400 frame Tinkers and stuff like that all the time. It would be nice if the software would allow you to receive only 100 frame Gromacs.

I will not crunch a 400 framer, especially a Tinker. If I get one I simply kill the console and delete that data folder so that it has to send for a new work unit.
dharbert
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:44 pm

dharbert wrote:Don't get me wrong now, I'm not trying to cheat. I just hate getting 400 frame Tinkers and stuff like that all the time. It would be nice if the software would allow you to receive only 100 frame Gromacs.

I will not crunch a 400 framer, especially a Tinker. If I get one I simply kill the console and delete that data folder so that it has to send for a new work unit.

yes, i can relate to your frustration. deleting the data folder might not work. the assignment server will try it's best to reissue the very same wu to you, despite that you've deleted it (delete machinedependant.dat, work folder, queue.dat, fahcore_65.exe, and config files- you'll have to redo your config w/ handle and team#33258- if you get a tinker after that, then just let it run to completion. i've been there as well). learn to use the -advmethods flag, which might/ might not help you to get tinker wu's. reference the site in my sig for now, as it'll have an explanation on how to set flags in place. if you've done that, and still get gromacs wu's, then there is nothing that you can do about it- just let it run to completion. it should hand out some gromacs after doing a half dozen or so tinkers. flags are no guarantee for getting gromacs wu's. i've been there, and i've just let it work the slow tinkers, and should reengage some gromacs as they become available. we're also here to help the science, which means we should fel alright about running tinkers as well. gah/ genome wu's can be avoided by setting fah wu pref under advanced options while doing/ redoing the console config. also remember to use ctrl-c to stop folding in the console gently.

edit: tinker wu's can tolerate higher overclocking than gromacs wu's, so there's an option to consider if you've decided that you can accept the risks (do so intelligently to reduce the risks involved).
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team