Where do I join?

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:49 pm

Tulatin wrote:They're intened for the paranoid to use in order to verify the authenticity of the D/L.

not paranoid- the smart, and intelligent realize that packet loss in networks can corrupt data, and verifying that the file downloaded is the same as the source is a way to be certain that it will function properly.

get a copy of the md5summer here:
http://www.md5summer.com/
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:42 pm

Yet it doesn't always work. I've got mandrake 9.1 disks that can attribute to that.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:46 pm

Tulatin wrote:Yet it doesn't always work. I've got mandrake 9.1 disks that can attribute to that.

it could be a symptom of the burning process. sometime pays to slow down the rate a bit, as well as perform testing. md5sum process isn't bullet proof, but it sure is better than the typical windows method of just downloading files w/ o any regard for checking file integrity.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:51 pm

may have also been that mandrake doesn't much like my hardware...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:29 pm

Tulatin wrote:may have also been that mandrake doesn't much like my hardware...

i've had very bad luck getting good cd's w/ redhat. i tried an install recently w/ redhat 9.1, and the install failed due to incorrectly id'g my video chipset correctly. id's a km400m, as a km133 :? , and then died. couldn't get a good install of redhat 8, so i ended up waiting a half a year until i could get a good set. i've seen a repetition of bad/ corrupt packages in redhat installs- makes you wonder just what could be the reason. linux distros, for what ever reason don't always work out. might be the burn process, packet loss from downloads, flaw in the md5sum algorithm, or just bad iso's presented, where the md5sum represents just what is presented, and it's no good? sometimes it can be hardware issues, and you'll find that you'll need a couple of distros on hand just to get one to install correctly. other issue i've found, is zerofilling will misreport the partition table, and it'll need a file system installed, and deleted, as well as cleaning up the mbr before the partition table is reported correctly. aefdisk is very fast, and handy tool. create a win98 boot disk, and install aefdisk 2.0 to it, and keep it handy, or even add it to a dos boot disk to avoid having to wait for the win98 disk to load.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Previous

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team