what is folding??

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

what is folding??

Postby hammondc » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:52 pm

I am new--- fill me in or point me in the right direction.

THnx :wink:
hammondc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tulatin » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:45 pm

Essentially, Folding at Home is a distrobuted computing client released by stanford university, to look at why when some protiens fold (assemble themselves) incorrectly, they create diseases. Diseases such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease. The client will take advantage of your spare cpu cycles, and essentially starts simulating these folds, and monitoring the variations and errors that can occur. So, by pitiching in with your cpu and doing these work units, you'll be helping them to find the cause of these mis-folds, which will eventually lead to ways to prevent them, as well as defenses against them, resulting in disease eradication.

Clients can be downloaded here - http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... nload.html

just set your username to whatever you want, your team number to 33258, and you should be good to go. Further questions and comments should be posted in the Motherboards.Org Folding At Home Team section of the forum, where our team of experienced folders will help you out.

See you there!

Additional Info can be found at the site in my sig.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team